Superfly Presents, also referred to as just Superfly, is an entertainment and lifestyle company with offices in New York, San Francisco, and Chicago. They are co-creators of Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, as well as Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival and Great GoogaMooga.
The company was founded in 1996 by Jonathan Mayers, Rick Farman, Richard Goodstone and Kerry Black.
After gaining notoriety as hosts of after-hours events during the New Orleans Jazz Fest and Mardi Gras, Superfly's owners realized they had hit a plateau, unable to compete with big venues that could profit from alcohol and other sales in addition to ticket fees. They wanted to put on bigger events and came up with the idea of Bonnaroo.
Superfly's approach to the first Bonnaroo during the summer of 2002 was notable for a number of reasons. The venue was remote. The bands were not chart toppers, and most remarkably, promotion was entirely done on the internet, with tickets only being available through their own website (a unique business concept at the time). The manager of Dave Matthews Band came on as an initial backer, simultaneously guaranteeing a headline act. Word of mouth drove 10,000 ticket sales in the first day of availability, and 70,000 total in 11 days. They had hoped to sell 40,000. To this day, Bonnaroo tickets are exclusively available through the company's website, and the festival has grown to be one of the world's largest musical events of the year every year.
Bonnaroo has sold out almost every year since the first festival was held in 2002, and in 2007 Rolling Stone magazine named the festival one of "50 moments that changed the history of rock."
Superfly co-created the San Francisco-based Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival. Launched in 2008, it was the first major ticketed event in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park. While bands are a major attraction for the crowds, the event also leverages San Francisco’s local culture with involvement from regional restaurants and wineries providing interesting fare as well as tech companies and non-profit groups adding their own touches like a live broadcast on YouTube and free water bottle refills and bike valet for the environmentally conscious crowd.
In 2012 Superfly launched its culinary festival brand, the Great GoogaMooga: a festival that highlights food above music, which debuted in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park in May 2012. The first major food festival of its kind, GoogaMooga emphasizes the culinary experience and works with local sustainable businesses and well known chefs to create an event with quality food as the main attraction. Though the festival's emphasis is on food, it also features acts by a number of prominent bands.
Superfly Marketing Group
Superfly Marketing Group, also referred to as SMG, was created in 2009 to be a strategic partner to brand marketers. SMG has developed marketing programs for JetBlue, Intel, Life is good, and Adult Swim, both at Superfly-produced festivals, as well as standalone marketing programs. In 2013, Superfly Presents acquired The Distillery, a small Chicago creative agency.
- Company website, http://www.superflypresents.com/
- Buchanan, Leigh. Superfly Presents. Inc. magazine, June 2011. http://www.inc.com/magazine/201106/how-we-did-it-superfly-presents.html
- Sabin, Jonathan. The Temptation of Superfly. Fast Company, May 2006. http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/105/superfly.html
- Van Harken, Joseph. Raising the Bonnaroof. CNN, June 18, 2003. http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/18/sprj.cas03.bonnaroo.cover/index.html?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ
- Gold, Adam. Ten years after its inception, Bonnaroo has blossomed into a Tennessee cultural cornerstone. Nashville Scene, June 7, 2012. http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/ten-years-after-its-inception-bonnaroo-has-blossomed-from-a-jam-band-festival-to-a-tennessee-cultural-cornerstone/Content?oid=2890626&storyPage=1
- Goldberg, Stephanie. What is Bonnaroo?. CNN, June 9, 2011. http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/08/bonnaroo.2011/index.html?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ
- Waddell, Ray. Bonnaroo 2013: Superfly’s Jonathan Mayer on Lineup, Legacy, Why Mumford Are a ‘Bulls-eye’ for Fest. Billboard, February 22, 2013. http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/record-labels/1549800/bonnaroo-2013-superflys-jonathan-mayer-on-lineup-legacy-why
- Downs, David. Tenacious D Battle the Devil to Wrap Up Outside Lands Fest. Rolling Stone, August 31, 2009. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tenacious-d-battle-the-devil-to-wrap-up-outside-lands-fest-20090831
- Gordinier, Jeff. Pork Belly, Lobster and, Yes, Music. The New York Times, May 15, 2012. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/dining/music-festivals-with-an-eye-on-the-kitchen.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
- Kronsberg, Matthew. Great Googa Mooga! It’s The Fusion Of Food And Entertainment Culture. Fast Co. CREATE. http://www.fastcocreate.com/1680806/great-googa-mooga-its-the-fusion-of-food-and-entertainment-culture
- JetBlue Airways and Superfly Marketing Group Announce Five Winners of National OurStage.com Music Competition. JetBlue. http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=131045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1320859&highlight
- Beltrone, Gabriel. The Co-founder of Bonnaroo Discusses His Best Program of 2012 Helping marketers tap entertainment. Adweek, March 18, 2013. http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/co-founder-bonnaroo-discusses-his-best-program-2012-147999
- Life is Good Festival Aims To Reward Attendees Who Raise Money. Glide Magazine, May 11, 2010. http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/55914/life-is-good-festival-aims-to-reward-attendees-who-raise-money.html
- Waddell, Ray. 40 Under 40: Jonathan Mayers. Billboard, August 2, 2012. http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1084339/40-under-40-jonathan-mayers
- Billboard Staff. Video: Superfly Presents' Rick Farman Talks Bonnaroo, Outside Lands, Interactive Festival Experiences @ FutureSound. Billboard, November 18, 2011. http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1160038/video-superfly-presents-rick-farman-talks-bonnaroo-outside-lands