A supernumerary nipple (also known as a third nipple, triple nipple, accessory nipple, polythelia or the related condition: polymastia) is an additional nipple occurring in mammals, including humans. Often mistaken for moles, supernumerary nipples are diagnosed at a rate of 1 in 18 males and 1 in approximately 50 female humans.
The nipples appear along the two vertical "milk lines", which start in the armpit on each side, run down through the typical nipples and end at the groin. They are classified into eight levels of completeness from a simple patch of hair to a milk-bearing breast in miniature.
Polythelia refers to the presence of an additional nipple alone while polymastia denotes the much rarer presence of additional mammary glands.
Although usually presenting on the milk line, pseudomamma can appear as far away as the foot.
A possible relationship with mitral valve prolapse has been proposed.
According to Ainsley Newson of Times Online, Romans regarded a third nipple a sign of reinforced femininity while in Salem, an extra nipple was held to be indicative that the woman concerned was a witch; the nipple being used to suckle the devil. The same source asserts that Anne Boleyn (one of the wives of Henry VIII) also fell victim of such belief.
Notable people with supernumerary nipples 
See also 
- ^ a b Rapini, Ronald P.; Bolognia, Jean L.; Jorizzo, Joseph L. (2007). Dermatology: 2-Volume Set. St. Louis: Mosby. ISBN 1-4160-2999-0.
- ^ Kajava Y. "The proportions of supernumerary nipples in the Finnish population". Duodecim 1915; 1:143-70.
- ^ Revis, Don R. Jr., MD. "Breast Embryology". eMedicine. Retrieved 2007-12-03.
- ^ Rajaratnam K, Kumar PD, Sahasranam KV (2000). "Supernumerary nipple as a cutaneous marker of mitral valve prolapse in Asian Indians". Am. J. Cardiol. 86 (6): 695–697. doi:10.1016/S0002-9149(00)01057-2. PMID 10980229.
- ^ Newson, Ainsley (1 September 2005). "Bond villain's nipple triple gives clues to breast cancer treatment". Times Online. Times Newspapers. Archived from the original on 4 March 2007. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- ^ Sabancontact, Stephen (2011-07-13). "Zac Efron Has Four Nipples!". Worldofwonder.net. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- ^ (2012-01-28). "Lily Allen Has a Third Nipple! Seven Celebrities With Extra Body Parts - Gallery - Lily Allen Has a Third Nipple! Seven Celebrities With Extra Body Parts". wetpaint.com. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- ^ "5 celebrities, 15 nipples (you do the math)". Fox News. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- ^ "The truth about One Direction star Harry Styles' 'weird' 4 nipples! - now". Nowmagazine.co.uk. 2013-01-10. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- ^ Fiona Roberts (2011-07-20). "Woman grows nipple on foot: Lily Allen and Zac Efron have extra nipples too | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- ^ Robertson, Cameron (2 February 2005). "My 3 Nipples; Stunned Radio 1 DJ Jo tells of bizarre discovery". The Mirror (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 9 April 2013.