Supervisor (role variant)
The Supervisor Guardian is one of the 16 role variants of the Keirsey Temperament Sorter, a self-assessed personality questionnaire designed to help people better understand themselves. David Keirsey originally described the Supervisor role variant; however, a brief summary of the personality types described by Isabel Myers contributed to its development. Supervisors correlate with the ESTJ Myers-Briggs type.
Supervisor Guardians are civic-minded individuals who dedicate themselves to maintaining the institutions behind a smooth-running society. They often rise to positions of leadership in service organizations and in their careers, defending the values of the groups to which they belong. Supervisors are strong believers in rules and procedures, and they prefer tried methods to experimental ones.
With their outgoing nature, Supervisors are quick to communicate their opinions and expectations to others. They are hard-working, and they take their obligations seriously. Faithful friends and loyal spouses, Supervisors are adroit in social situations. They enjoy rituals such as weddings and holiday observances. While they may seem somewhat formal, they are frank and forthright, showing themselves for what they are.
For illustrative purposes, Keirsey and his son, David M. Keirsey, have identified well-known individuals whose behavior is consistent with a specific type. Unless otherwise noted, the categorization of the individuals below, whether living or dead, as Supervisors is a matter of expert opinion rather than the result of the named individual taking a personality type inventory.
- George Washington, US president
- Sandra Day O'Connor, US Supreme Court justice
- Vince Lombardi, football coach
- Judith Sheindlin (Judge Judy), family court judge and television personality
- Mike Wallace, journalist and television correspondent
- Muhammad, Prophet of Islam
- "Keirsey.com Portrait of the Supervisor". Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- Keirsey, David (1998). Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence. Del Mar, CA: Prometheus Nemesis Book Company. ISBN 1-885705-02-6.
- "FindArticles". Market Wire. 2005. Retrieved 2008-08-03.
- Keirsey Temperament and Character The Web Site for the Keirsey Temperament Sorter and Keirsey Temperament Theory.
- Supervisor Guardian Portrait of the Supervisor Guardian