|Single by Muse|
|from the album The 2nd Law|
|A-side||"Supremacy" (Live from the BRITs)|
|Released||20 February 2013
(see release history)
|Format||Digital download, CD-R|
|Recorded||October 2011 – July 2012 at
(Los Angeles, United States)
20 February 2013 at
The O2 Arena
(London, United Kingdom)
|Length||4:55 (Album version)
3:40 (Radio edit)
|Label||Warner Bros., Helium-3|
|Muse singles chronology|
According to frontman Matthew Bellamy, "Supremacy" sees the band going to "absurd levels", while according to the French magazine Jeuxactu the song has elements of "Kashmir" from Led Zeppelin in its guitar riff and orchestration.
James Bond and Skyfall relations
The track has been constantly and very notably compared to many James Bond theme songs, and even considered to be a suitable fit for one. Many Muse and James Bond fans had even drawn support for "Supremacy" to be the theme song to that year's James Bond entry, Skyfall. Some news outlets and blogs have also even gone as far as comparing the song to the film's actual theme, Adele's song of the same name. In light of these relations and comparisons, rumors surfaced that claimed Muse originally wrote "Supremacy" for Skyfall in auditioning for the theme song of the next James Bond film.
Muse has commented heavily on "Supremacy"'s James Bond likeness. Drummer Dominic Howard commented on the comparisons, stating "It’s got a little bit of a Bond vibe – it all goes a bit crazy Live and Let Die in the middle. My view is they should use it for the next James Bond film, but I don’t know what’s going on with that. I heard Adele was doing it." This comment was largely misinterpreted as confirmation to the rumors that Muse indeed auditioned for Skyfall and that "Supremacy" was the song written for the film. Eon Productions, the studio responsible for all of the official James Bond films, denied the rumors that Muse were even considered for the new James Bond film. Skyfall producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson stated that Adele was "always our first choice". They also went on to say that the late Amy Winehouse was even considered for the theme song, before her death in mid-2011.
The song was firstly announced as the next single after "Follow Me", with a released date programmed for February 25, 2013. However, the song itself was not released with the album version, but with a live version, featuring a full orchestra and choir taken from the 2013 BRIT Awards performance on February 20, 2013, was released instead on iTunes the same night.
Usage in other media
"Supremacy" was also used in a Mac Pro sneak peek commercial released in August 2013.
The opening verse of "Supremacy" was used in the SQA Higher Music listening exam (2014) in Scottish schools.
"Supremacy" was used in the start sequence of every episode of Hotel GB.
|1.||"Supremacy" (Live from the BRITs 2013)||4:47|
|1.||"Supremacy" (Radio Edit)||3:40|
|2.||"Supremacy" (Album Version)||4:55|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||58|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||58|
|UK Rock (The Official Charts Company)||2|
|US Rock Songs (Billboard)||39|
|Australia||20 February 2013||Digital download||Warner Music|
|United Kingdom||25 February 2013||CD-R (Contemporary hit radio)|
- "Skyfall - Trailer "Supremacy" by Muse". Sync0py. YouTube, Google, inc. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- ""Supremacy" leaked from upcoming album". Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "New Muse album - The 2nd Law - Trailer inside".
- "Muse - Supremacy for next James Bond soundtrack". Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- Sayer, Jo. "Battle of the Bond songs: Adele's Skyfall vs Muse's Supremacy". The Sun. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Adele's Skyfall vs. Muse's Supremacy". Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Did Muse Audition for Skyfall?". Total Film. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- Smart, Gordon. "Dominic Howard is left to Muse over Skyfall song". The Sun. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Muse - Muse regret turning down 'Skyfall'". Muse News. Contactmusic.com. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Bond producers deny rumours Muse were considered for 'Skyfall' theme". NME. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Muse - 'Supremacy' video". NME.com. February 6, 2013. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- "Muse to perform 'Supremacy' with full orchestra at Brit Awards". NME.com. January 26, 2013. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "Supremacy Live From The Brit Awards 2013 Available To Buy On iTunes Now". Muse.mu. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "Supremacy (Live from the BRITs 2013) - Single". iTunes.com. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "Muse - Supremacy (CDr)". Muse Discography. Discogs. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Lescharts.com – Muse – Supremacy" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Swisscharts.com – Muse – Supremacy". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2013-03-02" UK Singles Chart.