Supreme National Security Council
|This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
Supreme National Security Council (Persian: شورای عالی امنیت ملی Shoraye Aliye Amniate Melli) is the national security council of the Islamic Republic of Iran, the current secretary of which is Saeed Jalili. This institution was founded during the 1989 revision of the constitution.
The responsibilities of the council is defined by the constitution as:
- Determining the defense and national security policies within the framework of general policies determined by the Leader;
- Coordination of activities in the areas relating to politics, intelligence, social, cultural and economic fields in regard to general defense and security policies; and
- Exploitation of materialistic and intellectual resources of the country for facing the internal and external threats.
This National Security Council is mandated by Article 176 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran to be presided over by the president of the country. The president selects the secretary of the council. The decisions of the Council are effective after the confirmation by the Supreme Leader. Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei is at the top of the foreign-policy process.
Nuclear policy 
Supreme National Security Council formulates the country's nuclear policy. The nuclear policies formulated by the council would become effective if they are confirmed by the Supreme Leader. The Secretary of the council doubles as the chief nuclear negotiator of Iran.
As of 2011, following members are:
- Head of the Executive - President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
- Head of the Legislative - Majlis Speaker Dr. Ali Larijani
- Head of the Judiciary - Ayatollah Sadeq Larijani
- Representative of the Supreme Leader to the Secretary of Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) - Dr. Hassan Rouhani
- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) - Saeed Jalili
- Chief of the Supreme Command Council of the Armed Forces (SCCAF)- Major General Hassan Firoozabadi
- Chief of the Army - Major General Ataollah Salehi
- Chief of the Islamic Revolution’s Guards Corps (IRGC) - Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari
- Minister of Foreign Affairs - Ali Akbar Salehi
- Minister of the Interior - Mostafa Mohammad Najjar
- Minister of Information (Intelligence and Security) - Heyder Moslehi
- Minister of Defence - Brigader General Ahmad Vahidi
References and notes 
- Islamic Republic of Iran, The Supreme National Security Council (SNSC)
- § 1 of Article 176
- ISNA - 08-15-2005 - 84/5/24 - سرويس: / سياسي / شماره خبر: 569141
- § 5 of Article 176
- Iran: Nuclear Decision Making Undergoes Changes Radio Liberty Tuesday,9 August 2005
- Article 176
- Iranian Supreme National Security Council