Supreme Novices' Hurdle
|Supreme Novices' Hurdle|
|Grade 1 race|
|Race type||Hurdle race|
|Distance||2m ½f (3,319 metres)|
|Qualification||Four-years-old and up|
|Weight||10 st 13 lb (4yo);
11 st 7 lb (5yo+)
7 lb for fillies and mares
|Champagne Fever||My Tent Or Yours||Jezki|
|Cinders And Ashes||Darlan||Trifolium|
|Al Ferof||Spirit Son||Sprinter Sacre|
|Forest Sun||Danny Harrold||Rakes Lane|
|Sondrio||Island Set||Cruising Altitude|
The Supreme Novices' Hurdle is a Grade 1 National Hunt hurdle race in Great Britain which is open to horses aged four years or older. It is run on the Old Course at Cheltenham over a distance of about 2 miles and 110 yards (3,319 metres), and during its running there are eight hurdles to be jumped. The race is for novice hurdlers, and it is scheduled to take place each year during the Cheltenham Festival in March.
It is the first event on the opening day of the Festival, and its start is traditionally greeted by the "Cheltenham Roar", a loud cheer generated by the crowds of onlookers.
The race was originally called the Gloucestershire Hurdle, and it used to be split into two or three separate divisions. The Irish trainer Vincent O'Brien recorded ten victories in the race during an eight-year spell in the 1950s.
It became known as the Lloyds Bank Champion Novices' Hurdle in 1974, when Lloyds Bank began a brief period of sponsorship. Its present title was introduced when Waterford Crystal started to back the race in 1978. This association continued until 1990, and since then the event has had several different sponsors. The current[when?] sponsor is the bookmaking company Sky Bet.
Leading jockey since 1972 (5 wins):
- Ruby Walsh - Noland (2006), Al Ferof (2011), Champagne Fever (2013), Vautour (2014), Douvan (2015)
Leading trainer since 1972 (5 wins):
- Willie Mullins – Tourist Attraction (1995), Ebaziyan (2007), Champagne Fever (2013), Vautour (2014), Douvan (2015)
Winners since 1946
- Amateur jockeys indicated by "Mr".
- Separate divisions of the race indicated by (1), (2) and (3).
- Racing Post:
- Supreme Novices' Hurdle – Cheltenham Pedigree Online Thoroughbred Database
- Ladbrokes Pocket Companion 1990/91. Aesculus Press. 1990. p. 56. ISBN 1-871093-21-X.
- Race Recordings Supreme Novices' Hurdle YouTube