Suranaree University of Technology
|Suranaree University of Technology (SUT)|
|Motto||Upright, Civilized, Clean and Economical are SUT Ethics|
|Established||July 27, 1990|
|Rector||Prasat Suebkha, Ph.D.|
|Admin. staff||993 (2009)|
|Location||Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand|
|Tree||Radermachera ignea (Kurz) Steenis (Peep Thong)|
|Colours||Orange and Gold|
|Affiliations||Civil Aviation Training Center|
The Suranaree University of Technology (Thai: มหาวิทยาลัยเทคโนโลยีสุรนารี, SUT (Royal Thai General System: Suranari University of Technology)) is in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand. The university was established on July 27, 1990, becoming fully operational in 1993.
Suranaree University of Technology is the first ever university in Thailand that initiated Trimester System for its educational management consisting of 13 weeks for each trimester providing enough time for students to concentrate on their study more effectively. It also enables the university to integrate cooperative education into every curriculum at an undergraduate level in which students can have hands-on experience at the workplace, full-time, and more time to enrich their practical knowledge and skills. It has recently been selected as an international satellite office of the World Association Cooperative Education (WACE).
Suranaree University of Technology houses the National Synchrotron Research Center that enables advanced research on physics, materials science and related areas. The School of Physics has been ranked as the first in the country consecutively. In addition, the university has been recognized as one of the most productive institutions. It is the youngest institution among the nine National Research Universities of Thailand.
Suranaree University of Technology was established as a public autonomous university, outside the civil service system, under the supervision of the Royal Thai Government. It is a university town which aims to promote internal and external efficiency and academic freedom in its operations and to be a community of scholars in the arts, sciences and technology, to benefit both the individual and society. This university hereby pledges itself to excellence in all its missions: to improve the quality of life and to collect and create knowledge, moral ethos and wisdom for the everlasting development of mankind.
Suranaree University of Technology is firmly determined to become a first class university of Thailand and a leading university in science and technology in Asia, an academic resource and a repository of knowledge, maintaining excellence in all its missions, collecting and creating knowledge, moral ethos, and wisdom for the sustainable development of the individual and society.
Strategies for development
Suranaree University of Technology’s five-fold developmental strategy and goals are as follows:
- Careful expansion through prioritization of strengths in those areas of high demand in the period of 2002-2011, in which SUT can perform best.
- Making full use of resources and strengths, including generation and development of resources for the full use in all missions, This also includes generating funds to support financially needy students.
- Creating competitive advantages through the creation of innovations and quality factors, employing suitable technology along with aggressive public relations activities to attract faculty, personnel and students. This includes striving for excellence in all missions to be competitive both nationally and internationally.
- Maintaining strengths and continue to develop with transparency and accountability for increased efficiency and effectiveness. Possible areas of focus include being a state autonomous university; SUT’s system of combined services-coordinated tasks; and privatization.
- Creating intellectual property arising from SUT’s research and development and followed by academic services to the public and consultation.
Suranaree University of Technology has five principal missions:
- To train high-level scientific and technological personnel to meet national development needs.
- To engage in research for the creation and enhancement of knowledge, and to use the results for the development of the country.
- To adapt, transfer, and develop suitable technology to increase Thailand’s technological self-reliance.
- To provide academic services to the public and to organizations in both governmental and private sectors.
- To provide national and regional cultural enrichment, especially in the arts and culture of the Northeast.
- "Suranaree University of Technology Annual Report 2009" (pdf). Suranaree University of Technology. 2009. Retrieved January 27, 2010.