Surekha is a contemporary Indian video artist whose works showcase themes including Indian identity and Womanhood. She has been a full time artist since 1996 and her video works have been shown at galleries outside India since 2001. Her works are known for the mix of video and physical presence, highlighting inherent experiences. Surekha has been exploring the possibilities of the video form, negotiating the public and private, locating the body as a site of contestation and appropriation. She uses photography and video to archive, document and perform. Surekha was born in Bangalore and has studied art at Ken school of Arts and Santiniketan, Viswabharati University. She has shown her works both in India and many international shows. Surekha lives and works in Bangalore.
Art workshops and presentations
- 1993-2007 Mallya Aditi International school, Srishti School of Art & Design and Technology, Ken School of Arts, Chitrakala Parishat, Bangalore, CAVA, Mysore
- 2005 Malmo Art Academy, Lund art school, Boros textile school, Sweden
- 2003 Boros Textile School, Voland Art Academy, Sweden
- 2008 Cava Mysore/ Kalabhavan, Santiniketan, MSU, Baroda
- 2010 SN school, Hyderabad University.
- 2006 As panelist, Video Art from India, Tate Modern, London |
2003 Art and Public Sphere, Voland Art Academy, Sweden | 2002 MPCVA Mumbai |
[[See also : Surekha Yadav ]]
|This article about an artist from India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|