|Fields||Molecular Biology, Cell Biology|
|Institutions||University of California San Diego|
|Alma mater||IIT Kanpur, UC Berkeley|
|Doctoral advisor||Howard Schachman|
|Other academic advisors||Paul Berg|
|Known for||Peroxisomes, Autophagy|
|Notable awards||Guggenheim Fellowship, Searle Scholar Award, Jane Coffin Childs Fellow, NIH MERIT Award|
Dr. Suresh Subramani is the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and a Distinguished Professor of Molecular Biology at the University of California San Diego. A highly distinguished cell and molecular biologist, Dr. Subramani has been a member of the UC San Diego faculty since 1981.
Suresh Subramani received his Ph.D. in Biochemistry from UC Berkeley, working with Dr. Howard Schachman. He was a Jane Coffin Childs Fellow with Dr. Paul Berg at Stanford University. He was the recipient of a Searle Scholar Award, an NCI Research Career Development Award, and a Guggenheim Fellowship. At UCSD, he served as the last Chair of the Department of Biology (1999–2000) prior to its reorganization as a Division, and was the Interim Associate Dean for the Division of Biology (2000–2001). He served as the Interim Dean of the Division of Biological Sciences between 2006-2007. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology and the recipient of an NIH MERIT Award. He is currently a Distinguished Professor in the Section of Molecular Biology at UCSD and the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
Subramani is an author or co-author of over 200 research articles in international journals, and is cited by the ISI Highly Cited database as one of the preeminent and most commonly cited researchers in the field of Molecular Biology and Genetics.
- Ferguson College, Pune, India (B.Sc in Chemistry)
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (M.Sc in Chemistry)
- University of California Berkeley (PhD in Biochemistry)
- Suresh Subramani Searle Scholar Profile: http://www.searlescholars.net/person/444
- Fox, Mayne. "Appointment of Suresh Subramani as Senior Vice Chancellor – Academic Affairs". Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- ISI Highly Cited 2000 - 2008 Database: http://highlycited.com/categories/MolecularBiologyampGenetics.html