|Founded||Oakland, California, U.S. (April 4, 2006 )|
|Founder(s)||Mark Cramer, Mike Wertheim|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, U.S.|
|References: Data from CrunchBase|
Surf Canyon is a small computer software company founded and located in San Francisco, California, as well as their eponymous browser extension which acts as browser hijacker and is difficult to remove and web site . Both their extension and search site use implicit relevance feedback in real time to personalize searches, especially targeting those with specific objectives or where timeliness is a factor.
In the case of the extension, those searches can be on Google, Yahoo!, Bing, and Craigslist. That application is available as a downloadable extension for Internet Explorer, and as an add-on for Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. As of January 2009[update], Mozilla Add-ons listed it as a "recommended" download.
According to reviews in the Japanese edition of Lifehacker and the Chinese site weborn.org, the extension also provides relevance feedback in languages other than English, using diverse character sets. The company's blog also claims to support Russian.
In 2010, the Surf Canyon website won the About.com Reader's Choice Award for Best Search Engine with 48% of the vote, compared to Google's 34% second-place. The company's technology and published research have been cited several times in academic works dealing with dynamic approaches to search.
- Remove Fast Search by Surf Canyon (Removal Guide)
- Martin, Richard. "The Right Search Tool." Information Week. 27 September 2008. 35.
- Boehret, Katherine. "Web Searches That Really Bear Fruit." in "The Mossberg Solution" Walter S. Mossberg, ed. Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Co.: New York, 14 January 2008. D6
- Boswell, Wendy (March 2010). "About Web Search 2010 Reader's Choice Awards Winners - Best Search Engine". About.com. The New York Times Company. Archived from the original on 2011-02-14. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- Surf Canyon (30 October 2010). "Citation in Cornell University Ph.D. Dissertation". surfcanyon.com. Oakland, CA: Surf Canyon. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- Surf Canyon home page
- "Demonstration of Improved Search Result Relevancy Using Real-Time Implicit Relevance Feedback"
|This article related to a computer company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an IT-related or software-related company or corporation is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|