|Studio album by The Temptations|
|Released||February 18, 1983|
|Producer||Dennis Lambert, Steve Barri|
|The Temptations chronology|
In this album the group attempts to fuse their vocal harmonies with rock music production, resulting in a radical departure from the Temptations' signature soul sound. It was produced by Dennis Lambert and Steve Barri, (who previously wrote and produced a string of hits for The Four Tops) , and features musical contributions from Jeff Porcaro of Toto, Raymond Lee Brown of Earth, Wind & Fire, and longtime James Brown collaborator Fred Wesley.
Surface Thrills yielded two singles, the title track and "Love on My Mind Tonight", with only the latter being moderately successful. This is the last Temptations album to feature falsetto Glenn Leonard, who departed from the group after eight years. Leonard's replacement would be singer-songwriter Ron Tyson, who made his Temptations debut with the following album, Back to Basics.
All tracks produced by Dennis Lambert and Steve Barri except where noted.
- "Surface Thrills" (Lambert, H. Payne) – 4:30 a
- "Love on My Mind Tonight" (Lambert, P. Beckett) – 4:57 a
- "One Man Woman" (Lambert, Beckett) – 5:13 a, b, c, d
- "Show Me Your Love" (T. Skinner, J.L. Wallace, K. Bell) – 4:02 c
- "The Seeker" (Lambert, M. Price, D. Walsh) – 4:30 a
- "What a Way to Put It" (S. Dees, R. Kersey) – 4:37 a
(produced by the Temptations and Benjamin Wright)
- "Bringyourbodyhere (Exercise Chant)" (Otis Williams, David English, B.F. Wright Jr., L. Price) – 5:13 a, b, c, d, e
(co-produced by the Temptations and Benjamin Wright)
- "Made in America" (M. Price, Walsh) – 3:58 a
- Dennis Edwards: vocals (baritone/tenor)
- Melvin Franklin: vocals (bass)
- Glenn Leonard: vocals (tenor/falsetto)
- Richard Street: vocals (tenor/baritone)
- Otis Williams: vocals (tenor/baritone)
- Clydene Jackson, Julia Waters, Maxine Waters: background vocals ("Bringyourbodyhere")
- Raymond Lee Brown, Nolan Smith: trumpet
- George Bohanon, Fred Wesley: trombone
- Robbie Buchanan: drums, Linn computer, Moog bass, synthesizer, Fender Rhodes synthesizer, percussion synthesizer
- Paulinho da Costa: percussion
- Richard Elliot: saxophone, lyricon
- Gary Herbig, Terry Harrington: saxophone, flute, piccolo
- Paul M. Jackson, Jr.: guitar, rhythm arranger
- Gabe Katona: synthesizer
- Dennis Lambert: vocal arranger, synthesizer, percussion synthesizer
- Roger Nichols: percussion synthesizer-Wendel
- Jeff Porcaro, John Robinson: drums
- Freddie Washington: bass
- Benjamin Wright: arranger
|1983||"Love on My Mind Tonight"||88||17||—||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- Allmusic review
- The Temptations- Surface Thrills vinyl LP (1983) back cover. Accessed 8-24-2010.
- "The Temptations US albums/singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.