Surfing in Ecuador
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
Ecuador has many beaches for surfing: the coast of Ecuador is 2,237 km (1,390 miles) long. Surfable waves are available in Ecuador year-round, and surfers enjoy the mild year-round weather, especially in the northern region where the weather conditions attract many surfers from all over the world. Within this part of South America, Ecuador's neighbors Chile and Peru also offer great surfing. Many surfers in Ecuador use a protective wetsuit. Surf tourism is very important to the local economy, and the beaches offer significant enjoyment because of top quality waves combined with afforable prices for lodging and food compared to other surf destinations. There's also a national marine reserve off the coast, which has a gigantic whale population.
Some of the most popular surfing spots in Ecuador, which also have links to their own Wikipedia pages, include:
- Atacames - A beach town located on Ecuador's Northern Pacific coast.
- Galápagos Islands - The Galapagos are an area of volcanic islands distributed around the equator in the Pacific Ocean and are 500 miles from the mainland coast of Ecuador mainland. San Cristobal is a favorite spot in the Galapagos for surfing, where the surf is from both the North and South Pacific, and the “surf season” is from December until May. However, people surf all year round in the Galapagos & Ecuador. 
- Manta made a name for itself in the surfing world in 2004 by hosting the Bodyboarding World Cup.
- Montañita is one of the better spots to surf with waves in the months between January to March are as large as 2 meters.
- Playas is a coastal city located in the province of Guayas, Ecuador.
- Punta Carnero - is a popular surfing location, and the beach been chosen many times for national and international surf competitions.
- Salinas was the site of the ISA World Junior Surfing Games Ecuador in 2009.
- Thyberg, David "Where to Surf in Salinas, Ecuador." USA Today (Travel). Accessed September 2011.
- Greenspan, Eliot (2011). "Frommer's Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands." Wiley Publishing, Inc. Accessed September 2011.
- Warshaw, Matt (2005.) "The Encyclopedia of Surfing ." Harcourt Books. Accessed September 2011.
- "Pre-Game in South America." Surfline.com. This page is just one of the links in Wikipedia, within the List of surfing areas worldwide. Many who enjoy Bodyboarding,a surface water sport is popular at the surfing beaches in Ecuador, South America. Accessed September 2011.
- (Spanish) (May 31, 2002.) "Francisco Posada won the Masters Championship surfing." El Universo. Accessed September 2011.
- (Spanish) (April 10, 2006.) "Championship surfing and exhibition in Manglaralto." El Universo. Accessed September 2011.