Surgeon-General (United Kingdom)
|Surgeon-General of the British Armed Forces|
|Defence Medical Services|
|Inaugural holder||Air Marshal Sir Nigel Mills|
|Website||Defence Medical Services|
The Surgeon-General (SG) is the senior medical officer of the British Armed Forces; the post is held by the senior of the three individual service medical directors.
The Surgeon General is the clinical director of the Defence Medical Services Department which is the headquarters for the Defence Medical Services. It is a joint service organisation with personnel from all three services and Ministry of Defence civil servants working together to ensure “provision of strategic direction to the Defence Medical Services to ensure coherent delivery of all medical outputs".
The current Surgeon-General is Air Marshal Paul Evans.
List of Surgeons-General (1990-present)
|Rank||Name||Post nominals||Years in office|
|Air marshal||Sir Nigel Mills||KBE||1990-1991|
|Lieutenant general||Peter Beale||KBE FRCP||1991-1994|
|Vice admiral||Anthony Revell||CB||(1994-1997)|
|Air marshal||John Baird||KBE DL FRAeS FRCPE||1997-2000|
|Lieutenant general||Robert Menzies||CB OBE||2000-2002|
|Vice admiral||Ian Jenkins||CB CVO||2002-2006|
|Lieutenant general||Louis Lillywhite||CB MBE||2006-2009|
|Vice admiral||Philip Raffaelli||CB||2009-2012|
|Air marshal||Paul Evans||OStJ QHP||2012-|
- "Ministry of Defence: Defence Medical Services". Retrieved 2013-04-27.
- ‘MILLS, Air Marshal Sir Nigel (Holroyd)’, Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2007 Who was Who, accessed 26 April 2011
- Letters to the Editor 15 Mar 2007 The Telegraph
- Gulf War Illnesses
- Winds of Destruction
- Lieutenant General RC Menzies (b. 1944) Kilmarnock Academy
- Obituary The Telegraph
- Louis Lillywhite MOD
- Defence Medical Services, Ministry of Defence
- "The emerging office of the Surgeon General", Lieutenant Colonel Robert L Pearce, Australian Defence Force Health Journal, April 2002
|This medical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|