Surrey County Council
|Surrey County Council|
|Leader||David Hodge, Conservative
Since 11 October 2011
|Voting system||First past the post|
|Last election||2 May 2013|
|Next election||4 May 2017|
Surrey county council was created in 1889 by the Local Government Act 1888, which established the county council local government system in England and Wales. The council was originally headquartered in Newington; however it moved to County Hall, Kingston upon Thames in 1893 as Newington had become part of the County of London in 1889 instead of Surrey.
The Local Government Act 1972 led to Surrey becoming a Non-metropolitan county. This was accompanied by an alteration of county boundaries that led to Gatwick Airport falling under the control of West Sussex County Council.
The council is responsible for a number of local public services in Surrey. These include the standard responsibilities of county councils in England and Wales such as Transport and highway management, Waste disposal (but not collection) and education.
District and borough councils
There are 11 borough or district councils that govern at a more local level than Surrey County Council.
- Elmbridge Borough Council
- Epsom and Ewell Borough Council
- Guildford Borough Council
- Mole Valley District Council
- Reigate and Banstead Borough Council
- Runnymede Borough Council
- Spelthorne Borough Council
- Surrey Heath Borough Council
- Tandridge District Council
- Waverley Borough Council
- Woking Borough Council
The most recent election on 2 May 2013 produced a council made up of: 58 Conservatives, 9 Liberal Democrats, 9 Residents association/Independent councillors, 3 UKIP councillors, 1 Labour and 1 Green councillor.
- "Tories increase power in county amid UKIP wins". 3 June 2009. Retrieved 05 May 2013.
- "New Surrey County Council leader elected". Elmbridge Today. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- "Surrey History : Exploring Surrey's past - County Hall, Kingston". Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- Peter Ward (31 May 2011). "County Hall". Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- "Surrey County Council". Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- Peter Reed (2006). "Surrey". Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- Nicola Morris (24 May 2011). "County district and parish council functions". Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- Web Operations Team (11 October 2011). "District and borough councils". Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- "Elections 2009 - Surrey council". 5 June 2009. Retrieved 15 October 2011.