|Born||Susan Jane Swindall
September 1, 1946
|Spouse(s)||William Seale (?–present)
Monty Cox (?–?)
Susan Backlinie (born Susan Jane Swindall on September 1, 1946) is a former actress and stuntwoman. She is known for her role as Chrissie Watkins, the first victim in Steven Spielberg's 1975 blockbuster Jaws.
Backlinie's appearance in Jaws took three days to shoot, with Backlinie strapped into a harness while the crew struggled to get the desired effects. Backlinie also appeared in Spielberg's film 1941 parodying her role in Jaws. Instead of being attacked by a shark during a midnight swim, she's "picked up" by the periscope of a Japanese submarine. The scene has been described as the best joke in what is otherwise widely considered one of Spielberg's least successful films. Backlinie also appeared in the film The Day of the Animals, regarded by some as a Jaws clone about nature gone bad.
Originally, the shot of the shark attack in which Backlinie was involved had to be shot several times, because she was unable to produce the intended reaction. Therefore, the next filming day, the attack scene was shot again, only this time, Backlinie was not told when she would be "attacked". When the diver below her grabbed onto and pulled her leg, submerging her, she gave a genuine scared reaction, and the shot was left in the final product, as it was exactly what Spielberg was looking for.
|The Grizzly and the Treasure||Eve|
|1976||A Stranger in My Forest||unknown|
|Two-Minute Warning||Pretty blonde woman in crowd||(uncredited)|
|1977||Day of the Animals||Mandy Young|
|1979||1941||Polar Bear Woman|
|1981||The Great Muppet Caper||Charkie's Water Ballet Performer|
|1976||The Quest||Girl in Brawl||(1 episode)|
|1978||Quark||Guard #1||(2 episodes)|
|1982||The Fall Guy||Tammy||(1 episode)|
She appeared in her own pictorial ("The Lady and the Lion") in the January 1973 issue of Penthouse magazine.
- "Susan Backlinie Biography". IMDb. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Tom Russo, "'Jaws': Shark tale still has plenty of bite", The Boston Globe, August 4, 2012.
- Nigel Andrews, Nigel Andrews on Jaws: A Bloomsbury Movie Guide (Bloomsbury Publishing USA, 1999), ISBN 978-1582340425, p. 45. Excerpts available at Google Books.
- Dennis Fischer, Science Fiction Film Directors, 1895-1998 (McFarland & Company, 2000), ISBN 978-0786460915, p. 557. Excerpts available at Google Books.
- Douglas Brode, The Films of Steven Spielberg (Citadel Press, 2000), ISBN 978-080651951, pp. 84-86. Excerpts available at Google Books.
|This article about a United States film actor or actress born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|