Cookson on the set of Casualty
20 April 1965 |
|Occupation||Television and radio actress|
She was a cast member of BBC One's BAFTA winning medical drama Casualty, playing Dr Maggie Coldwell. This was Cookson's second role on the programme after appearing in Series 13-14 as an occasional character, anaesthetist Julie Day. She returned for one episode at the end of March 2009 on the day that co-stars Janine Mellor and Ivana Bašić left the series and returned once again in March 2015 for one episode.
Susan also appeared in the BBC Birmingham drama Doctors as Kath Wylie for three episodes in 2009.
On BBC Radio 4, she played Jodie in Spread A Little Happiness, a comedy by John Godber and Jane Thornton, set in a Yorkshire sandwich bar. The series first aired on 1 July 2009 with a repeat opening on 10 February 2011.
She lives in Sheffield with her husband, actor Malcolm Scates, and two children, Ruari and Dan.
- Casualty - Julie Day (1998–2000); Maggie Coldwell (2005–2008, 2009, 2015)
- Early Doors - Tanya (2003–2004)
- Emmerdale - DI Judy Dove (2003)
- Shipman - DC Marie Snitynski (2002)
- Fat Friends - Lynette Pickering (2000)
- Clocking Off - Janice Piper
- Queer as Folk - Marcie Finch
- Land Girls - Esther Reeves (2009)
- Moving On - Barbara (2009)
- Waterloo Road - Maria Lucas (2010)
- Miracle Babies (TV documentary) - narrator (2014)
- Coronation Street - Marion Logan (2015)
Cookson won "Fave Female" of Series 21 of Casualty in the 2007 Holby TV awards.
Her character Maggie Coldwell won "Favourites" in four categories for Series 22 (Female, All-Time Female, Character Most Want to Return, and Best Couple) at the 2008 Holby TV Awards.