|— Alpine ski racer —|
|Disciplines||Downhill, Giant Slalom, Slalom, Combine|
|Club||Sun Valley (ID) Ski Club|
November 30, 1951 |
Seattle, Washington, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)|
|World Cup debut||1970|
|Teams||1 - (1972)|
|Medals||1 (0 gold)|
|Teams||1 - (1972 Olympics)|
|Medals||1 (0 gold)|
|Seasons||4 - (1970–73)|
|Overall titles||0 - (19th in 1972)|
|Discipline titles||0 - (7th in DH, 1972)|
Susan Corrock Luby (born November 30, 1951) is a former World Cup alpine ski racer, a member of the U.S. Ski Team in the early 1970s. Talented in all three disciplines, she had 16 top ten finishes in World Cup competition: 8 in downhill, 2 in giant slalom, and 6 in slalom.
Born in Seattle, Washington, Corrock skied as a youth at Snoqualmie Pass and later trained in Ketchum, Idaho at Sun Valley. She made her World Cup debut in January 1970 at the age of 18. Two years later, she won the bronze medal in the downhill at the 1972 Winter Olympics in Sapporo, Japan, the only podium of her international career. She later finished ninth in the slalom event, won by teammate Barbara Cochran; three Americans placed in the top ten. Corrock competed on the World Cup circuit for four seasons, retiring after the 1973 season at the age of 21.
World Cup results
- 16 top tens (8 DH, 2 GS, 6 SL)
|1970||13 Jan 1970||Bad Gastein, Austria||Slalom||8th|
|1 Mar 1970||Vancouver, BC, Canada||Slalom||8th|
|1971||4 Jan 1971||Maribor, Yugoslavia||Slalom||9th|
|13 Feb 1971||Mt. Ste. Anne, QC, Canada||Slalom||9th|
|18 Feb 1971||Sugarloaf, ME, USA||Downhill||6th|
|19 Feb 1971||Downhill||10th|
|26 Feb 1971||Heavenly Valley, CA, USA||Giant Slalom||9th|
|14 Mar 1971||Åre, Sweden||Giant Slalom||10th|
|1972||18 Dec 1971||Sestriere, Italy||Slalom||5th|
|12 Jan 1972||Bad Gastein, Austria||Downhill||10th|
|18 Jan 1972||Grindelwald, Switzerland||Downhill||8th|
|1972 Winter Olympics|
|25 Feb 1972||Crystal Mtn, WA, USA||Downhill||8th|
|26 Feb 1972||Downhill||5th|
|1973||16 Jan 1973||Grindelwald, Switzerland||Downhill||9th|
|25 Jan 1973||Chamonix, France||Downhill||9th|
|2 Feb 1973||Schruns, Austria||Slalom||10th|
- "U.S. takes a bronze in Olympics". Rochester Sentinel. Associated Press. February 5, 1972. p. 6.
- "Photo: A Medalist". Cape Girardeau Southeast Missourian. Associated Press. February 5, 1972. p. 4.
- Free, Cathy (February 18, 1994). "Olympic bronze a hidden memory for downhill skier". Spokesman-Review. p. B1.
- Susan Corrock at the International Ski Federation
- FIS-ski.com – Susan Corrock – World Cup season standings
- Ski-db.com – results – Susan Corrock
- Sports-Reference.com - Olympic results - Susan Corrock
- YouTube.com – 1972 Winter Olympics – Women's Downhill medalists' runs – from Japanese television – 1972-02-05