|Susan Elan Jones MP|
|Member of the United Kingdom Parliament
for Clwyd South
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Martyn Jones|
1 June 1968 |
Ponciau, Denbighshire, Wales
|Political party||Welsh Labour|
Susan Elan Jones (born 1 June 1968) is a British Labour Party politician, who was elected at the 2010 general election as the Member of Parliament for Clwyd South, replacing the previous Labour MP Martyn Jones on his retirement.
In the 1997 general election, Jones stood for Labour in Surrey Heath, coming third. From 2006 to 2009 she was a councillor in the London Borough of Southwark and was deputy leader of the opposition from 2007 to 2009.
Jones is fluent in Welsh, and took her Parliamentary Oath of Allegiance to the Queen in Welsh. She has actively supported Welsh language issues, writing in one article: "I would contend that for a Labour supporter being actively pro-Welsh language is a natural part of our DNA, as much as supporting public services, tackling low pay or taking on any other equalities cause".
When making her maiden speech in the House of Commons on 9 June 2010 Jones spoke of the historic discrimination faced by speakers of the Welsh language. In her speech, she compared the ordinary people who campaigned for the Welsh language at times when it had not been fashionable to do so as civil rights activists "in the mould of Mrs Rosa Parks".
Jones has also campaigned on military issues, and used her first appearance at Prime Minister's Questions to support the Royal British Legion's campaign abolition of the Chief Coroner's office, which they argued would improve investigations into military deaths. David Cameron reversed his decision two weeks later and announced that the service would not be scrapped. She also attacked Conservative Justice Secretary Ken Clarke over "secret inquests" opposed by military families, provoking a "swipe" at the Royal British Legion from the Minister.,
She has frequently backed various local business interests in parliamentary debates, including solar panel businesses concerned about cuts to subsidies for domestic solar panels, and wood panelling businesses which employ many people in her Clwyd South constituency.
Jones has strongly advocated the publication of all MPs' expenses and publishes her own expense claims on her website each month.
From October 2010 - October 2011 Jones served as Parliamentary Private Secretary to Harriet Harman MP, the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, in her role as Shadow Secretary of State for International Development.
- "Susan Elan Jones MP". Democracy Live (BBC News). Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Wrexham and Clwyd South stay Red but majorities are slashed". The Leader (NWN Media Ltd). 7 May 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Susan Jones - Parliamentary Candidates". The Daily Telegraph (London). 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Susan Elan Jones". UK Parliament. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- http://waleshome.org/2011/08/labours-record-on-equality-should-warmly-embrace-y-gymraeg/[dead link]
- "A bevy of maidens". Democracy Live (British Broadcasting Corporation). 29 June 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "12 July 2011". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) (House of Commons). col. 229.
- "2 November 2011". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) (House of Commons). col. 918–919.
- "Chief coroner: Royal British Legion welcomes U-turn". BBC News (British Broadcasting Corporation). 23 November 2011.
- Chapman, James (9 March 2012). "Inquests MUST be open says British Legion chief who fears secret justice plans would 'compound grief of bereaved'". Daily Mail (London).
- Deacon, Michael (13 March 2012). "Sketch: Ken Clarke's swipe at the Royal British Legion". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- "23 November 2011". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) (House of Commons). col. 397–398.
- "16 March 2011". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) (House of Commons). col. 108WH.
- "Expenses / Treuliau". Susan Jones MP. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Ed Miliband's new frontbench team". Labour Party. 10 October 2011. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- Susan Elan Jones MP official website
- Susan Jones MP Labour Party profile
- Susan Jones MP Welsh Labour Party profile
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Clwyd South