Susan Evans McCloud
Two of McCloud's hymns appear in the LDS Church's 1985 hymnbook. One of these, "Lord I Would Follow Thee," has also been recorded by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Lines from this hymn have been quoted in the LDS community, and it has even been called "one of the best-loved songs in the LDS Church" McCloud wrote her other hymn, "As Zion's Youth in Latter Days," with the goal of giving strength to a "vacillating youth."
McCloud has published more than 45 books. Since the late 1970s she has published nearly one novel annually, many through the publishers Bookcraft or Scribe Publishing. Her novel Black Stars Over Mexico was a best seller in January 1985. Brigham Young: An Inspiring Personal Biography was partly developed as a result of her 30 years as a docent at the Beehive House. McCloud also wrote a book on love with Randy Jernigan.
Many of her novels are historical fiction of 19th-century Latter-day Saints in far-flung places, such as England or India. Some reviewers have criticized her novels as being pro-Mormon and repetitious of previous themes. Her work has been reviewed by Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought and Sunstone Review, where it also received some criticism. Although rejected by some critics, her work is praised by others, such as LDS commentator and Deseret News columnist Jerry Johnston.
McCloud's poetry first appeared in the Ensign magazine in 1972.
McCloud has also written scripts for film and TV productions, including the script for making one of her books into a made for TV movie.
- LDS.org - Ensign Article - 1990 Writing and Music Contest Winners
- "Cannon Announces Formation Of Utah County Steering Panel". Deseret News. August 18, 1992. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- "Sen. Reed Smoot Citizen Awards". Deseret News. May 27, 2004. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- The Official Site of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
- For example, see quotes at AuthorsDen and Ensign, May 1992 article by Howard W. Hunter
- Johnston, Jerry (May 11, 2002). "Great hymns — chosen writers". Deseret News. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- New Era, November 2003
- Favorite Seminary Songs. [CD booklet]. Sandy, Utah: Sounds of Zion. Retrieved 2009-06-04
- Mormon Literature Database - McCloud, Susan Evans
- Past bestselling fiction titles - page 189
- Review of Books for BYU Magazine by Richard Cracroft
- Randy Jernigan
- Taylor, J. Golden (1987). A Literary history of the American West. TCU Press. p. 857. ISBN 978-0-87565-021-0. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought
- Mormon Literature Database - Mormon Mushies (Part IV)
- Johnston, Jerry (May 23, 1993). "Pitching Fiction to the Mormon Pop Market". Deseret News.
- Biographies: Latter-day Saint and/or Utah Film Personalities: M