Susan Fernandez in 2007
|Birth name||Susan Fernandez|
|Born||August 3, 1956|
|Died||July 2, 2009
Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Susan Fernandez Magno (August 3, 1956 – July 2, 2009) was a Filipino singer, activist and academic. She was known for her protest music, especially at the height of the authoritarian regime of Ferdinand Marcos.
An alumna of the University of the Philippines, where she earned a degree in A.B. Sociology and Master of Arts in Philippine Studies, Susan Fernandez (later known as Susan Magno or Susan Fernandez Magno) first gained prominence as a performer during anti-Marcos rallies in the first half of the 1980s. She would come to be hailed as "the voice of a protest generation". She also became known for her rendition of the feminist anthem Babae Ako, which was released as a track in her 1990 album Habi at Himig.
For eleven years, Susan Fernandez Magno hosted the television variety program Concert at the Park. In the 1990s, Fernandez co-presented the children's show, Bulilit, alongside Bodjie Pascua. In 2008, Susan Fernandez Magno was featured, along with other Filipino celebrities such as Ely Buendia, Chris Tiu and Angel Locsin, in the Ako Mismo television advertising campaign.
Fernandez was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2008. Despite her illness, she continued to teach at the Ateneo de Manila University and perform at nightly gigs. She died at Pasig City on July 2, 2009, aged 52. A friend of hers was performing her favorite song, Both Sides Now, at the moment of her death.
- Howie Severino (2009-07-02). "Susan Magno, Voice of Protest, Passes Away". GMA News.TV. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Susan Fernandez-Magno: The Nightingale of Philippine Progressive Political Movement". Ako Mismo. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Singer Susan Fernandez Dies". ABS-CBN News Online. 2009-07-02. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- Benjamin Pimentel (2009-07-03). "Susan Fernandez, Our Nightingale". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- "Susan Fernandez-Magno, 52". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 2009-07-03. Retrieved 2009-07-03.