Susan Moody (born 1940 in Oxford) is the principal nom de plume of Susan Elizabeth Horwood, an English novelist best known for her suspense novels. On her marriage to Professor John Dalgleish Donaldson in 2001 she became the stepmother of Mary Elizabeth Donaldson, and her three siblings.
She grew up in Oxford then lived in France where she met her first husband. They moved to Tennessee where she lived for 10 years before returning to England. In 1983 she published her first novel, A Distant Shore, and one other historical novel under the pen name Susannah James, before she turned to genre of crime and suspense literature. More recently she has also used the nom de plume, Susan Madison.
She is a former Chairman of the Crime Writer's Association, served as World President of the International Association of Crime Writers, and has been elected to the prestigious Detection Club. Susan Moody has led numerous courses on writing crime fiction, and continues to tutor creative writing courses in England, France, Australia and Denmark.
Amateur detective Penny is a 6 ft beautiful black photographer and the daughter of a UN Ambassador.
- Penny Black (1984) (#56 among The Top 100 Crime Novels of All Time)
- Penny Dreadful (1984)
- Penny Post (1985)
- Penny Royal (1986)
- Penny Wise (1988)
- Penny Pinching (1989)
- Penny Saving (1993)
Cassie Swann series
Cassie Swann is an expert bridge player in England.
- Takeout Double (Also published as: Death Takes a Hand) (1993)
- Grand Slam (1994)
- King of Hearts (1995)
- Doubled in Spades (1996)
- Sacrifice Bid (1997)
- Dummy Hand (1998)
- Playing With Fire ; (Mosaic, USA).
- House of Moons
- Misselthwaite : a sequel to Frances Hodgson Burnett's novel The Secret Garden;(Return to the Secret Garden, USA).
- Falling Angel
- The Italian Garden
- The Colour of Hope
- Touching The Sky
- Letters From Kirsten (Denmark)
- Losing Nicola
- Dancing in the Dark
- A Distant Shore, an historical novel set in the royal harem of Istanbul.
- Lucia's Legacy, an historical novel set in Spain in the 1800s.
- Love Over Gold, the novelisation of the Nescafé Gold Blend couple advertisements.
- Hatchards Crime Companion: The top 100 crime novels of all time selected by The Crime Writers Association, edited by Susan Moody.
Susan Moody has written a number of well received short stories which have appeared in many anthologies.