20 October 1968 |
Highgate, London, England
1981-1999 (Actress) 1998 - present(Director)
Her most prominent television roles are those of single mother Michelle Fowler in the BBC soap opera EastEnders and her pivotal part in early Grange Hill. Tully played one of EastEnders' original characters, appearing in the first episode on 19 February 1985 and remaining central to the series until 1995. Tully then gave up acting to work behind the camera and has directed and produced various British television programmes. Susan will appear as herself in the upcoming documentary about her drama teacher Anna Schol which is still in Post Production "Anna" (2011) her first public appearance since 1998.
She was then cast in the BBC children's television serial Grange Hill. She played schoolgirl Suzanne Ross for three years (1981–1984). She had left Grange Hill and was about to go to sixth form college when she got her next big acting break.
At the age of 16, Tully secured a major role in the BBC's new soap opera EastEnders. She played Michelle Fowler from the show's inception in 1985 to 1995. During her time on the show, her character was famously made pregnant at the age of 16 after having an affair with the 39-year-old adulterer Den Watts. Since quitting the soap in 1995, Tully has allegedly been made several offers to return, but has turned each offer down, including the latest offer to return for her on-screen mother Pauline's funeral in early 2007.
In the late 1990s Tully began concentrating on directing for television (credited as "Sue Tully"). Shows of which she has directed episodes include EastEnders, London's Burning, 55 Degrees North (2004), The Bill (1999–2004), Funland (2005), Secret Diary of a Call Girl (2007), Lark Rise to Candleford (2009), Silent Witness (2010), Stella (2012), Good Cop (2012), Getting On (2009-2012), Truckers (2013) and Puppy Love (2014). She is currently directing episodes of Being Eileen She will appear as herself in the documentary about her drama teacher alongside EastEnders and former Grange Hill star Patsy Palmer.
Tully is a supporter of The Meningitis Trust and she has also been involved in the Comic Relief fundraising event. She is close friends with Letitia Dean, who played her best friend Sharon Watts in EastEnders. Tully was a bridesmaid at Dean's wedding to Jason Pethers in 2002.
- "After 10 years as TV's most famous single mother, Susan Tully ", The Independent. URL last accessed on 2007-03-14.
- Kingsley, Hilary (1990). The EastEnders Handbook. BBC books. ISBN 0-685-52957-6.
- "Pauline's soap snub", Supanet. URL last accessed 2007-02-11
- "Susan Twist". Jane Holloway. Retrieved 21 December 2012. "Sue has recently completed filming In the Flesh, BBC, directed by Jonny Campbell and Lapland, directed by Susan Tully, also for BBC."
- "LIFE AFTER SHARON", Sunday Mirror. URL last accessed on 2006-09-18.
- "EastEnd Letitia's diamond geezer", Sunday Mirror. URL last accessed on 2006-09-18.