||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. The reason given is: There is only one item with a reference in this entire article. (May 2013)|
12 December 1957|
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (September 2009)|
In 1978, she wrote a first stories and in 1981 she wrote a first novel: Illmitz, declined by editors and now unpublished.
In 1989, her novel La testa fra le nuvole (Head in Clouds) was published by Marsilio Editor. She fell ill with asthmatic bronchitis and she was forced to move from Rome to Orvieto, in Umbria. Her successful second novel Per voce sola (Just For One Voice) (1991) won the International PEN price and was translated into several languages.
In 1991, she wrote a first novel for children Cuore di ciccia.
The plot of Follow Your Heart is very simple: Olga, an elderly woman, decides to write a long letter to her granddaughter in America. Olga reflects on her life and reveals to granddaughter their family's secrets. This novel was translated into more than 35 languages.
In 1997, she published "Anima Mundi," the story of a friendship.
In 1998, September 23, her father died in Rome. The media wrote Tamaro's father was killed, but the news was wrong. Tamaro's father died from hemorrhage.
In 2001 she wrote Raccontami, in 2002 Più fuoco, più vento, in 2003 Fuori.
In 2006, she wrote Ascolta la mia voce (Listen to my voice), a sequel of Follow your Heart. This novel was sold in twelve countries.
In this novel, Tamaro revealed her position pro-life, against abortion, euthanasia and scientific research on embryos. She is largely sympathetic to the position taken by the Catholic Church on these topics.
In 2008, she published Luisito- A Love Story.
Awards and honors
- Prize Italo Calvino for "La testa fra le nuvole" (1989)
- Prize Elsa Morante for La testa fra le nuvole (1990)
- International PEN for "Per voce sola" (1991)
- Prize Rapallo Carige for women writers for "Per voce sola" (1992)
- Prize Cento for Il cerchio magico (1995)
- Honorary Golden Dante of A.L. "Bocconi d'Inchiostro" - Bocconi University for her outstanding career (2013)
- La testa tra le nuvole (1989) Elsa Morante prize.
- Per voce sola (1991) International PEN prize.
- Cuore di ciccia (1992)
- Il cerchio magico (1994)
- Follow your Heart (1994)
- Anima Mundi (1997)
- Cara Mathilda. Lettere a un'amica (1997)
- Tobia e l'angelo (1998)
- Verso casa (1999)
- Papirofobia (2000)
- Rispondimi (2001)
- Più fuoco più vento (2002)
- Fuori (2003)
- Ogni parola è un seme (2005)
- Ascolta la mia voce (2007)
- Luisito - Una storia d'amore (2008)
- Il grande albero (2009)
- Nel mio amore, (2005)