at Vossajazz April 12, 2014
|Birth name||Susanna Karolina Wallumrød|
|Born||1979 (age 34–35)
|Genres||Indie Pop & Jazz|
|Occupations||Musician & composer|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano & guitar|
|Associated acts||Susanna and the Magical Orchestra|
Susanna Karolina Wallumrød (born 1979 in Kongsberg, Norway) is a Norwegian vocalist, known for her beautiful low key original songs. She is the sister of the drummer Fredrik Wallumrød and the pianist Christian Wallumrød, cousin of the pianist David Wallumrød, and is married to the music producer Helge Sten, better known as Deathprod.
Susanna's song "Believer" from their first album and their cover version of Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" featured in two 3rd season episodes of the American medical drama Grey's Anatomy and on 3rd season of Skins, on episode 6.
The German rock band Fury in the Slaughterhouse uses Susanna's AC/DC-cover of "It's a Long Way to the Top If You Wanna Rock'n Roll" as intro and the Joy-Division-cover "Love Will Tear Us Apart" as Outro on their "Farewell & Goodbye Tour 2008".
Suanna Wallumrød has cooperated with exceptional baroque harpist Giovanna Pessi, who has previously made herself known with a variety of ECM recordings. Pessi's collaboration with pianist Christian Wallumrød brought her regularly to Oslo, where she met and became friends with Suanna, the pianist's sister. Susanna invited Pessi to play on her solo album Sonata Mix Dwarf Cosmos (2008), and four years later, the Norwegian vocalist's turn to take guest role.
On If Grief Could Wait she sings both her own songs and compositions by Henry Purcell, Leonard Cohen and Nick Drake. In the center of the album is Susannas clear voice and Pessis delicate harp. The ensemble also comprises Marco Ambrosini on Key harp and Jan Achtman at Gamba.
A bright meeting between Tord Gustavsen's strong Norwegian Quartet and Susanna Wallumrød, brings one of our most distinctive vocalists to the premiere of a new musical project during the Oslo Jazz Festival 2012. The musical movements that Wallumrød sings, are previously done with singers of Trio Mediaeval and Tord Gustavsen Trio, and this musical expression can not be anything but perfect for Gustavsen lyrical play and the voice of Wallumrød.
- Magical Orchestra
- 2004: List of Lights and Buoys (Rune Grammofon)
- 2006: Melody Mountain (Rune Grammofon)
- 2009: 3 (Rune Grammofon, 2009)
- 2007: Sonata Mix Dwarf Cosmos (Rune Grammofon)
- 2008: Flower of Evil (Rune Grammofon)
- 2012: Wild Dog (Rune Grammofon)
- 2011: Jeg vil hjem til menneskene, Susanna Wallumrød synger Gunvor Hofmo (Grappa Music)
- 2013: The Forester (SusannaSonata)
- "Susanna Wallumrød Biography". Last.fm. Retrieved 04-14-2014.
- "Susanna og det magiske" (in Norwegian). Norsk Musikkinformasjon Ballade.no. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Kelman, John (2012-02-03). "Giovanna Pessi / Susanna Wallumrod: If Grief Could Wait (2012) Review". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2014-04-14.
- Fordham, John (2011-11-10). "Susanna Wallumrød/Giovanna Pessi: If Grief Could Wait". Musical review. The Guardian. Retrieved 2014.04-14.
- "Tord Gustavsen kvartett møter Susanna Wallumrød" (in Norwegian). Jakob.no. Retrieved 2014.04-15.
- "Sonata Mix Dwarf Cosmos" (in Norwegian). Review Groove.no. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Klev, Kim (2012-03-18). "Skjønnheten i skyggene: Susanna Wild Dog - Review Lydverket" (in Norwegian). NRK. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- "Jeg Vil Hjem Til Menneskene Susanna Wallumrød Review" (in Norwegian). Review Groove.no. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Susanna and the Magical Orchestra Biography - AlwaysOnTheRun.net
- Susanna Wallumrød performs Jailbreak on YouTube
- Giovanna Pessi & Susanna Wallumrød - „If Grief Could Wait" on YouTube
- SusannaSonata Music Label
- Official website
|Recipient of the Open class Gammleng-prisen
|Recipient of the Open class Spellemannprisen