Lothar at the Cinema for Peace gala, June 27, 2011
15 November 1960|
|Died||21 July 2012
|Spouse(s)||Ulrich Mühe (1997–2007; his death)|
|Parents||Hanns Lothar and Ingrid Andree|
Susanne Lothar (15 November 1960 – 21 July 2012) was a German film, television and stage actress.
Early life and education
Susanne Lothar was born on 15 November 1960 in Hamburg, Germany. She was the daughter of actors Hanns Lothar and Ingrid Andree, who divorced in 1965, the year before her father's death. She studied drama at the Hochschule für Theater und Musik (School of Theatre and Music) in Hamburg.
Lothar was a member of the company of the Deutsches Schauspielhaus theatre in Hamburg for many years and her performances include roles in Frank Wedekind's Lulu plays (Erdgeist (Earth Spirit) and Die Büchse der Pandora (Pandora's Box)), produced by Peter Zadek. For her first film Strange Fruits (Eisenhans) in 1983, she received the German Federal Film Prize. With Ulrich Mühe, she appeared as the victimised married couple in the original version of Michael Haneke's Funny Games in 1997. Lothar worked again with Haneke as Mrs Schober in The Piano Teacher and in The White Ribbon.
Susanne Lothar's death was announced in a written statement by lawyer Christian Schertz, representing her family, on 25 July 2012.
Lothar had married actor Ulrich Mühe in 1997. They had two children. Mühe died of stomach cancer in 2007.
- Strange Fruit (1983)
- The Mountain (1991)
- Benito (The Rise and Fall of Benito Mussolini) (1993)
- Funny Games (1997)
- Das Schloß (The Castle) (1997) 
- The Piano Teacher (2002)
- Snowland (2005)
- Under the Ice (2006)
- Madonnas (2007)
- The Reader (2008)
- Fleisch ist mein Gemüse (2008)
- The White Ribbon (2009)
- Nemesis (2010)
- Murder on the Orient Express (2010; TV)
- If Not Us, Who? (2011)
- Dust On Our Hearts (2012)
- Anna Karenina (2012)
- "Biography for Susanne Lothar". Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "Susanne Lothar", Prisma tv Guide (German)
- imdb Awards page for Strange Fruits
- "The White Ribbon (Das weisse Band) – Directed by Michael Haneke | Susanne Lothar, Ulrich Tukur, Theo Trebs, Michael Schenk | Film". indieWIRE. 29 December 2009. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Festival de Cannes – From 11 to 22 may 2011". Festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Leading German actress Susanne Lothar dies at 51". BBC news. 26 July 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "Susanne Lothar Filmography". Fandango. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- Susanne Lothar at the Internet Movie Database
- "Das erste Mal – Frau Lothar, wann sind Sie Sie selbst?", NZZFolio
- Peitz, Christiane; Mayer, Verena (20 April 2008). "Vielleicht wollte Ulrich noch einmal 'Halt' sagen". Der Tagesspiegel (in German).