She was born as Susanne Emilie Luise Adele Habersack in Munich, but spent most of her childhood with her parents in Amsterdam. Back in Munich, she made her stage debut at the age of 13. Two years later she became a ballerina.
In the early 1930s she turned to cabaret. In 1939, she was offered her first film role. In 1940 she moved to Vienna, where she became a member of the Burgtheater. After her retirement in 1992 she continued her stage career at the Theater in der Josefstadt.
Decorations and awards
- 1977 - Austrian Cross of Honour for Science and Art, 1st class
- 1978 - Gold Medal of Honour of the capital Vienna
- 1997 - Nestroy Ring
- 2000 - Platinum Romy for lifetime achievement
- 2004 - Undine Award - for your life's work as a young supporter
- 2005 - Gold Medal of the City of Vienna