Sustainable landscape architecture
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2008)|
Sustainable landscape architecture is a category of sustainable design concerned with the planning and design of outdoor space.
This can include ecological, social and economic aspects of sustainability. For example, the design of a sustainable urban drainage system can: improve habitats for fauna and flora; improve recreational facilities, because people love to be beside water; save money, because building culverts is expensive and floods cause severe financial harm.
The design of a green roof or a roof garden can also contribute to the sustainability of a landscape architecture project. The roof will help manage surface water, provide for wildlife and provide for recreation.
Sustainability appears to be a new addition to the traditional Vitruvian objectives of the design process: commodity, firmness and delight. But it can be seen as an aspect of both firmness and commodity: an outdoor space is likely to last longer and give more commodity to its owners if it requires low inputs of energy, water, fertiliser etc., and if it produces fewer outputs of noise, pollution, surface water runoff etc.
- Energy-efficient landscaping
- List of sustainable agriculture topics
- Sustainable landscaping
- Sustainable gardening
- Sustainable agriculture
- Context theory
- Green roof
- Green transport
- Landscape planning
- Lyle Center for Regenerative Studies at the California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Public Open Space (POS)
- Urban agriculture
- Carbon cycle re-balancing
- Urban forestry
- Sustainable planting
- Landscape and sustainability John F. Benson, Maggie H. Roe (2007)
- Sustainable Site Design: Criteria, Process, and Case Studies Claudia Dinep, Kristin Schwab (2009)
- Sustainable urban design: perspectives and examplesWork Group for Sustainable Urban Development (2005)
- The Sustainable Landscapes Conference at Utah State University
- Information on designing a sustainable urban landscape
- Sustainable Environmental Design and Landscape Stewardship