June 14, 1974 |
Baldwin Park, California, U.S.
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Other names||Raja,1 Raja Gemini|
|Height||190 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
Sutan Amrull (born June 14, 1974), also known as Raja1 and Raja Gemini, is an American make-up artist and drag performer. He is best known for his work on the reality television show America's Next Top Model, serving as the show's make-up artist for nine cycles (fourth through twelve), and as the winner of Season 3 of RuPaul's Drag Race. Amrull's clients include Dita von Teese, Pamela Anderson, Paulina Porizkova, Iman, Tyra Banks and Twiggy. Since 2009, Amrull has been make-up artist to singer Adam Lambert for print media, live U.S. appearances and Lambert's international 2010 Glam Nation Tour.
RuPaul's Drag Race
Presenting his drag alter-ego Raja, Amrull auditioned for the third season of the reality program, which included an endorsement from Adam Lambert on his audition video. Raja entered the Drag Race workroom dressed in club attire and wearing a beanie that had a giant cyclops eye on it. Highlights include wins in the first mini challenge and main challenge of the season, impersonating Tyra Banks, winning the cake couture challenge, winning the RuPaul-apalooza challenge, and lip synching for his life against contestant Carmen Carrera. Known for being one of the "Heathers" (a clique composed of Raja, Carmen Carrera, Manila Luzon, and Delta Work; taking its name from the popular cult film, Heathers), his attitude and numerous challenge wins were often criticized by other contestants. In the final episode, after a lip sync battle with Manila Luzon, Raja was declared the winner of the show's third season and crowned  America's Next Drag Superstar. Since winning Drag Race, Raja has been performing at various venues throughout the United States. As part of his duties as the third season winner of Drag Race, he toured the U.S. and Canada on Logo's Drag Race Tour in 2011, presented by corporate sponsor Absolut Vodka.
In May 2011, Raja released his first single "Diamond Crowned Queen," which is available for purchase via iTunes and other commercial music sites. The single debuted at number fifty on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs, before peaking at number thirty-five. On August 21, 2012, his second single "Sublime" was released. On June 1st, 2013, Raja released her third single, a blend of sizzling rock n’ roll guitars and traditional Indian flavors entitled Zubi Zubi Zubi, which roughly translates to Dance Dance Dance.
- "The Young and Evil" (2008)
- 1.^ On season three of RuPaul's Drag Race, he was known simply as "Raja".
- Voss, Brandon (Raja, Ooh La La). "Sutan Amrull: King of the Queens". LA Weekly. p. 1. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- Loza, Josefina (September 11, 2010). "Designer eyes leaving Omaha to achieve his dreams". Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- Sutan Amrull at the Internet Movie Database
- Davis, Madeliene (2011-03-01). "RuPaul’s Drag Race Takes a Page Out of Heathers". Gawker. Gawker Media. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- Parsley, Aaron (April 26, 2011). "What's Next for the Winner of RuPaul's Drag Race?". People. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- Carlson, Meghan (February 22, 2011). "Watch: 'Top Model' Makeup Artist Raja Impersonates Tyra Banks on 'RuPaul's Drag Race'". BuddyTV. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- Rogers, Nathaniel (March 10, 2011). "TV at the Movies: "They're All Going to Laugh at You!"". The Film Experience. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- "Dance Club Play Songs - Week of July 02, 2011". Billboard. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Dance Club Play Songs - Week of July 30, 2011". Billboard. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Official website - Raja
- Official website - Sutan Amrull
- Sutan Amrull on the Internet Movie Database
- Interview on The Advocate
|RuPaul's Drag Race winner
Season 3 (2011)