Sutherland railway station
|Street(s)||Old Princes Highway|
|Distance from Central Station||24.64 km|
|Altitude (above sea level)||? m|
|Types of stopping trains||Suburban all stations
Suburban limited stops
|Number of platforms||3|
|Number of tracks||3|
|Platform arrangement||1 Island
|Type of station||Ground|
Sutherland railway station is located on the Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line of the Sydney Trains network, servicing the Sydney suburb of Sutherland. It is the junction point between the Illawarra railway line and the Cronulla railway line, with services continuing both along the mainline to Waterfall, and along the branch to the coastal suburb of Cronulla. Sutherland also serves as a stop for NSW TrainLink South Coast Line services. The station consists of three platforms with ticket offices on an overhead concourse at the northern end. Stairs connect the overhead concourse to all platforms, a lift connects the overhead concourse to the island platforms 2 and 3 and level access to platform 1 is provided from the street on the western side of the station. An underpass connects platform 1 with the bus interchange on the western side of the station.
The station opened in 1885, with the first passengers conveyed on excursion trains on Boxing Day. The station opened for general rail traffic on 1 March 1886. It consisted of a brick station facing both the road and railway, a goods shed, and a stationmaster's residence.
A number of upgrades have taken place since 2013. Transport interchange upgrade – Commenced late 2012 – Completed May 2014.New lift to Platform 1 was put into use in October 2014.A new commuter car park is currently being constructed.
Platforms and services
Sutherland typically receives up to nine trains per hour during weekday peak-hour and up to six to eight trains in each direction per hour off-peak and on weekends (a four times per hour service to and from Cronulla and a half-hourly service to and from Waterfall). The occasional service also terminates there.
|1||all stations and limited stops services to Bondi Junction|
|South Coast Line||intercity services to Central (i) and Bondi Junction|
|2||all stations services to Waterfall|
|South Coast Line||intercity services to Wollongong, Port Kembla, Dapto and Kiama|
|3||all stations services to Cronulla|
- M92 - to Parramatta via Bankstown
- 961 - between Miranda and Barden Ridge
- 962 - between Miranda (Cronulla on weekends) and Bankstown
- 965 - to Woronora
- 969 - to Cronulla
- 976 - to Grays Point
- 991 - to Heathcote
- 993 - from Miranda to Engadine and Woronora Heights
NightRide runs the following route via Sutherland railway station:
- Route N10 - between Sutherland Station and City (Town Hall)
|Preceding station||Sydney Trains||Following station|
Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line
towards Bondi Junction
|Preceding station||NSW TrainLink||Following station|
|South Coast Line||
- "Excursion to Como and Sutherland". Sydney Morning Herald. 28 December 1885. p. 5..
- "The Illawarra Railway". Sydney Morning Herald. 1 March 1886. p. 5.
- Transport blitz to deliver improvements for customers Transport for NSW 23 April 2012.
- Completed works - Sutherland Transport for New South Wales
- New lift at Sutherland Station opens for customers Transport for NSW 20 October 2014
- Commuter car park – Construction underway Transport for NSW 21 October 2014
- Station Details Sutherland Sydney Trains