Sutton Township, Meigs County, Ohio
|Sutton Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Meigs County
|• Total||31.6 sq mi (81.7 km2)|
|• Land||31.1 sq mi (80.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||574 ft (175 m)|
|• Density||104.4/sq mi (40.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086619|
Sutton Township is one of the twelve townships of Meigs County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 3,250 people in the township, 1,625 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Chester Township - north
- Lebanon Township - east
- Letart Township - southeast
- Salisbury Township - northwest
It is the second farthest downstream of Meigs County's Ohio River townships.
Name and history
It is the only Sutton Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Meigs County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.