Landsat 7 image
with the impact structures in gray.
|Surface area||233.58 km2 (90.19 sq mi)|
|Max. depth||89.0 m (292 ft)|
|Surface elevation||81.7 m (268 ft)|
Suvasvesi is a lake in Eastern Finland near the town of Kuopio. Suvasvesi consists of two circular open lakes, Kuukkarinselkä in north and Haapaselkä in south. The lakes are separated by a group of islands. The lake has 688 islands in total. The area of the lake is 234 square kilometres (90 sq mi) making it the 18th largest lake in Finland. Kuukkarinselkä is the third deepest lake in Finland measuring 89.0 metres (292.0 ft) in the deepest point.
In 2001 shatter cones were found in Kuukkarinselkä making it the 6th known impact crater in Finland. The crater, usually referred as Suvasvesi North crater, is located in the center of Kuukkarinselkä and measures about 3.5 kilometres (2.2 mi) in diameter. Its age is about 85 Ma.
Haapaselkä resembles the northern counterpart and it was also suspected to be an impact crater. Haapaselkä crater is usually referred as Suvasvesi South crater. It is similar in size, and the age of the crater is older than 700 Ma (probably about 710–720 Ma) based on argon-argon dating of impact melt rocks found near the southeastern shore of Lake Haapaselkä.
- Finnish Environment Institute: Finnish lakes larger than 40 square kilometers
- Pohjois-Savon ympäristökeskus: Suvasvesi
- Kauko Huotari: Suomen suurimmat järvet
- Schmieder, M., Schwarz, W. H., Buchner, E., Pesonen, L. J., Lehtinen, M. & Trieloff, M. 2012. Double and multiple impact events on Earth - Hypotheses, tests, and Problems. 75th MetSoc meeting (13-18 August 2012), Cairns, Australia, abstract no. 5005.
- Buchner, E., Schmieder, M., Schwarz, W. H., Trieloff, M., Moilanen, J., Öhman, T., Stehlik, H.: A Proterozoic 40Ar/39Ar age for the Suvasvesi South structure (Finland). MetSoc 72, abstract no. 5076
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to the Triassic period is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|