Suze Randall attending the "Free Speech Coalition Awards Annual Bash Event" – Los Angeles, CA on Nov. 14, 2009
May 18, 1946 |
Suze was the first female staff photographer for both Playboy and Hustler. She is the one of the early female porn film directors, making Kiss and Tell in 1980. She is President of one of the world's biggest adult content websites, Suze Network.
Working first as a nurse, then as a fashion model in the early 1970s, Randall gained attention for erotic photographs she took of her fellow model friends. In 1972 she played an au pair in Éric Rohmer's film Love in the Afternoon. She gave up modeling and devoted her time to erotic photography becoming the first female to shoot Page Three for The Sun (United Kingdom). After working for years in top adult magazines like Penthouse and Playboy, she now continues her career as a freelance photographer. In recent years her work has included a lot of bondage imagery.
Her breakthrough came when she spotted the pinup model Lillian Müller and photographed her for "Playboy". Müller was chosen as Playmate Of The Month in August 1975 and subsequently Playmate of the Year in 1976. In a pictorial in Playboy's May 1976 issue, Randall was both photographer and model. She went on to shoot a much more explicit self-portrait in a June 1977 Hustler pictorial.
Suze Randall was staff photographer from 1975 until 1977 for Playboy under the supervision of the magazine's West Coast editor Marilyn Grabowski, then from 1977 until 1979 staff photographer for Hustler. Later she provided Penthouse Pet feature photo layouts for Aria Giovanni, Alexus Winston, Lanny Barby, Stormy Daniels, Nikita (see List of Penthouse Pets), Sunny Leone, Lexus Locklear, Lilly Ann, Silvia Saint, Zdenka, Elizabeth Hilden, Jisel, Tera Patrick, Julie Strain, Racquel Darrian, Aimee Sweet, Swan, & Pamela.
Randall has shot the prestigious British Lamb's Navy Rum calendar, has done album covers for recording artist such as Revenge (side project of Peter Hook from New Order), and Robert Palmer, as well as a music video for Capitol Records.
Suze Randall is married to writer Humphry Knipe, who helped write her biographical book Suze (1977), wrote and directed several of her films as Victor Nye, and still manages Suze Randall Productions websites. Her daughter Holly Randall (born September 5, 1978) is an erotic photographer who now works with her mother and has her own erotic website.
- "Larry Flynt wouldn't allow any of his photographers to shoot with diffusion, he wanted the viewer to see every pore in the model's skin. That made it a challenge to hide flaws that almost every girl has. I had to learn how to do it with posing and lighting." Quoted in The Village Voice, April 4, 2005
- "I get too excited watching the sex and make too much noise," says Suze with her trademark British accent and a devilish giggle that echoes through our talk. "Plus, I'm not the same age as the talent or even the crew; here's old Granny cheering them on from the sidelines. They throw me out, and that works much better." Quoted in The Village Voice, April 4, 2005
- "Suze, I soon realized is also a shark. Her specialty is naïve young girls – much like myself… Once she sank her teeth into me, she didn’t let go. She shot me until I was half dead.” (Pg. 105) from Jenna Jameson's biographic book How to Make Love like a Porn Star
- Kiss And Tell on IMDb.com
- Flowers, Claude. New Order + Joy Division: Dreams Never End. London: Omnibus Press, 1995. Pg. 104.
- Tristan Taormino, "Meet the Randalls," The Village Voice April 4, 2005 Meet the Randalls
- Tristan Taormino (2005-03-29). "Meet the Randalls". Village Voice. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- Suze.net Official Site
- Suze Randall at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview with Suze Randall at Klixxx Webmaster Magazine
- Suze Randall's commercial site
- Articles at LukeIsBack.com