|Suzette M. Kimball|
|Fields||Geology and Geophysics
|Institutions||United States Geological Survey|
|Alma mater||William and Mary
Ball State University
University of Virginia
Suzette M. Kimball is an American geologist and environmental scientist who is serving as Acting Director of the United States Geological Survey (USGS). She was nominated by President Barack Obama on January 9, 2014 to serve as the sixteenth Director of the USGS, a bureau of the United States Department of the Interior.
She has held several positions at the USGS including Eastern Regional Director, and Acting Associate Director for Geology. Prior to joining the USGS, she served in the National Park Service as a research coordinator in the Global Climate Change Program, Southeast Regional Chief Scientist, and Associate Regional Director. Before joining the U.S. Federal government, she was an assistant professor of environmental sciences at the University of Virginia; co-director of the Center for Coastal Management and Policy; and marine scientist at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science.
Dr. Kimball earned her B.S. in 1973 from William and Mary. She also has a M.S. in geology from Ball State University and her PhD in 1983 from the University of Virginia in environmental sciences/coastal and oceanographic processes.
Kimball has authored or contributed to a number of publications on topics scientific research including coastal zone management and policy, coastal ecosystem science, barrier island dynamics, and natural resource exploration, evaluation and management. Some selected references include:
- Chen, Zi-Qiang, Carl H. Hobbs III, John F. Wehmiller, and Suzette M. Kimball. "Late Quaternary paleochannel systems on the continental shelf, south of the Chesapeake Bay entrance." Journal of Coastal Research, vol. 11, no. 3 (1995): 605-614.
- Kimball, Suzette, James K. Dames, and Carl Heywood Hobbs. Investigation of Isolated Sand Shoals on the Inner Shelf of Southern Virginia: Final Report. College of William and Mary, School of Marine Science, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, 1991.
- Boon, John Daniel, Suzette M. Kimball, Daniel Ary Hepworth, and Kyung Duck Suh. Chesapeake Bay Wave Climate: Thimble Shoals Wave Station, Report and Summary of Wave Observations, September 27, 1988 Through October 17, 1989. Division of Geological and Benthic Oceanography, Virginia Institute of Marine Science and School of Marine Science, College of William and Mary, 1990.
- Dolan, Robert, Fred Anders, and Suzette Kimball. National Atlas: Coastal Erosion and Accretion. US Geological Survey, 1988.
- Anders, Fred J., Steven G. Underwood, and Suzette M. Kimball. "Beach and nearshore sediment sampling on a developed barrier, Fenwick Island, Maryland." In Coastal Sediments (1987), pp. 1732-1744. ASCE, 1987.
- May, Suzette Kimball. "Regional wave climate and shoreline response." PhD diss., University of Virginia, 1983.
- Biography of Suzette Kimball from the U.S. Geological Survey