|Born||December 24, 1943|
|Occupation||Journalist, fashion critic|
|Notable credit(s)||The Times, The New York Times, The International Herald Tribune, Harper's Bazaar|
Suzy Menkes, OBE (born 24 December 1943) is a British journalist, and head fashion reporter and editor for the International Herald Tribune since 1988. In that time she has written over 1.7 million words in the paper.
Menkes was born in the UK. She was educated at Brighton and Hove High School. In the 1960s, she went as a teenager to Paris to study dressmaking at Esmod. Viewing her first couture show at Nina Ricci sparked her interest in high fashion.
On her return from Paris, she read history and English literature at Cambridge University(Newnham College). After Cambridge, she worked for The Times reporting on fashion. In addition to her journalism, she has written several books, particularly on British Royal style.
In November 2009, she appeared as one of the judges on the finale of Lifetime TV series Project Runway. In 1996 she appeared in the second 'Last Shout' special in British comedy Absolutely Fabulous, playing herself.
Unlike the delicate relationship often shared between fashion houses and designers, with the fashion media and journalists. Menkes has a reputation within the fashion industry for being much loved by all for both her personality and her reviews of fashion shows, considered to be fair and balanced. A designer once refused to invite her to his show due to taking offense at some negative comments she had made in a previous collection review (though she did give positive comments as well). Many people in the industry rallied behind her and boycotted the designer's show as a result until the situation was resolved. She is responsible for launching several careers in fashion, including successful handbag designer Pauric Sweeney.
- Knitwear Revolution: Designer Patterns to Make, Suzy Menkes. Penguin USA, 1985. ISBN 0-14-046695-9
- The Windsor Style, Suzy Menkes. Salem House, 1987. ISBN 0-246-13212-4
- The Royal Jewels, Suzy Menkes. Contemporary Books, 1990. ISBN 0-8092-4315-6.
- Queen and Country, Suzy Menkes. Harpercollins, 1993. ISBN 0-246-13676-6
- Hussein Chalayan, Hussein Chalayan, Caroline Evans, Suzy Menkes. NAI, 2005. ISBN 90-5662-443-1
- Hero Brown, 'The fashion pack', handbag.com, 2005. Retrieved 12 February 2007.
- International Herald Tribune biography (PDF)
- Profile interview of Menkes by John Seabrook, The New Yorker, 17 March 2001
- Profile of Menkes, Varsity newspaper, Cambridge University, 25 November 2005, p. 11 (.pdf file)
|This biographical article related to fashion is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|