|"Swagga Like Us"
|Single by Jay-Z and T.I. featuring Kanye West and Lil Wayne
|from the album Paper Trail
||September 6, 2008
||Digital download, airplay
||5:30 (Album Version)
4:14 (Radio Edit)
||Grand Hustle, Atlantic
||Clifford Harris, Jr., Shawn Carter, Kanye West, Dwayne Carter, Jr., Mathangi Arulpragasam, Topper Headon, Mick Jones, Wesley Pentz, Paul Simonon, Joe Strummer
|T.I. singles chronology
"Swagga Like Us" is a song by American hip hop recording artists T.I. and Jay-Z, released September 6, 2008 as the second single from T.I.'s sixth studio album, Paper Trail (2008). It was originally slated to appear on Jay-Z's The Blueprint 3 (2009), however he later confirmed all songs with Auto-Tune were removed from the album. The song features fellow American rappers Kanye West and Lil Wayne both using auto-tune in their verses. The song's instrumental is based on a mixed sample of British recording artist M.I.A. singing "no one on the corner has swagga like us," from her hit single "Paper Planes." As "Paper Planes" itself samples The Clash's song "Straight to Hell," the song has a total of 11 songwriters, including Wayne, Jay-Z, West and T.I. himself.
The song was nominated a Grammy for Best Rap Song and won the Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group at the 51st Grammy Awards. T.I., Kanye West, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, and M.I.A. (who was 9 months pregnant at the time and supposedly due on the day of the perfomance) performed the song at Grammy Awards that year. This song was number 22 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of 2008.
"Swagga Like Us" was heavily remixed by various artists. Hip hop duo Clipse included their remix on their mixtape Road To Till The Casket Drops. Diddy recorded a remix titled "Swagger Like Puff" featuring Cassie singing the chorus. Trey Songz has also recorded one under the name of "Swagga Like Songz". On November 10, 2008, Chamillionaire released his own remix of the song for his mixtape Mixtape Messiah 5, titled "Swagga Like Koop".
Also, Drake, Fabolous, Freeway, Twista, Kid Cudi, Tinie Tempah, Flo Rida, Hot Rod and Tony Yayo have all performed or recorded "freestyles" over the instrumental. Rick Ross has also done his own freestyle remix, stated to be retaliation for being left off the original song. Dolla created his own version featured on his last mixtape, The Miseducation of Dolla
Jim Jones recorded "Jackin' Swagger from Us" with Twista, NOE and Lil Wayne which takes shots at T.I. and Jay-Z for allegedly stealing their styles. The song is a bonus track on his album Pray IV Reign.
In the U.S. the song made a "Hot Shot Debut" on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 5 with 139,000 digital downloads in its first week, making it both Jay-Z's and T.I.'s highest debut on the chart. It's also Jay-Z's third top five hit, as well as T.I.'s fourth on the chart. The song made a Hot Shot Debut on the Pop 100 at number 19 on the week of September 18, 2008. On September 21, 2008, the song entered the UK Singles Chart at number 33 on downloads alone. On the Canadian Hot 100 chart, it debuted at number 19 also on digital downloads.
Chart positions 
Track listing 
- Digital single
||"Swagga Like Us" (T.I. with Jay-Z featuring Kanye West and Lil Wayne)
||C. Harris, S. Carter, K. West, D. Carter, M. Arulpragasam, T. Headon, M. Jones, W. Pentz, P. Simonon, J. Strummer
- ^ Swagga Like Us (feat. Kanye West & Lil Wayne) - Single
- ^ Kanye West Promises Jay-Z's 'Anti-Auto-Tune' Blueprint 3 Will Be 'Amazing' Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- ^ Reid, Shaheem (2008-08-25). "T.I. Talks About 'Swagger Like Us,' Leaked Single Featuring Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Kanye West". MTV. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- ^ Reid, Shaheem (2008-09-08). "T-Pain Proves His Rap Skills On Pr33 Ringz; Andre 3000 Wants You To Say He's Wack: Mixtape Monday". MTV. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- ^ "The 51st Annual Grammy Awards Nominations List". The Recording Academy. 2008-12-03. Retrieved 2008-12-06.
- ^ MTV News Staff (2009-02-08). "Grammy 2009 Winners List". MTV. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- ^ "The 100 Best Songs of 2008". Rolling Stone (December 25, 2008). Retrieved 2008-12-25
- ^ Jim Jones Explains His ‘Swagger Like Us’ Response
- ^ Jim Jones feat. Lil Wayne, Twista, & NOE “Swagger From Us”
- ^ Pink Notches First Solo Hot 100 No. 1
- ^ a b "Official Singles Chart for the week ending September 27, 2008". ChartsPlus (Milton Keynes: IQ Ware Ltd) (370): 1–4.
- ^ T.I. & Jay-Z - Swagga Like Usachart. Accessed September 18, 2008
External links