Kalikrishna Bose (10 June 1873-30 May 1951), known as Swami Virajananda, was an activist in the Hindu reform movement. Born as the son of Trailokyanath Bose and Nishadkalidevi, Virajananda was the first person to join the Ramakrishna Order after the direct disciples of Ramakrishna. In 1897, he was initiated into sannyasa by Vivekananda.
Along with Swami Swarupananda, Virajananda played a great role in popularising the monthly magazine of the order, Prabuddha Bharata. He was also responsible for successful completion of compilation and publishing of The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda. He then edited and published the biography of Vivekananda in 1906 under the title The Life of Swami Vivekananda by his Eastern and Western Disciples. He was appointed the president of the Advaita Ashrama at Mayavati in 1913. In 1924 he became the General Secretary of the Ramakrishna Order. Then in 1938, he became the 6th President of the Ramakrishna Mission.
He was the main source of inspiration behind the founding of two educational institutes of that mission known as Vidyamandir and Sarada Pith.
A 4-minute historic recording from the archives of Vedanta Society of Southern California, of his voice in January, 1950, reading from Swami Vivekananda can be heard here
- The Life of the Swami Vivekananda, by His Eastern and Western Disciples, the Advaita Ashrama, Himalayas, by Advaita Ashrama, Published by the Swami Virajananda from the Prabuddha Bharata Office, Advaita Ashrama, 1947.
- Towards the Goal Supreme - Swami Virajananda ISBN 0-87481-029-9
- Strive to attain God - Swami Virajananda ISBN 81-85301-99-9
- The Story of an Epoch: Swami Virajananda and His Times - Swami Shraddhananda OCLC 10057893
- Life of Swami Vivekananda : by his Eastern and Western disciples Vol-I OCLC 8345083
- Life of Swami Vivekananda : by his Eastern and Western disciples Vol-II ISBN 81-7505-044-6
- Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda (8 volumes), OCLC 369748
- Abjajananda (1964). Svāmījira padaprānte, Svāmī Bibekānandera sannāsi-śishyagaṇera jībanacarita (in Bengali). Beluṛa Maṭha: Ramakrishña Miśana Saradāpīṭha. OCLC 19980842.
- Abjajananda; Chhaya Ghosh (tr.) (2003). Monastic Disciples of Swami Vivekananda : Inspiring life stories of some principal disciples of Swami Vivekananda (in Bengali). Kolkata: Advaita Ashrama. OCLC 60454130.
This article or section uncritically uses the texts and opinions from within a religion, without referring to primary or secondary sources that critically analyse them. (November 2013)