Swamp City Roller Rats
|Metro area||Palmerston North|
Arena 3 (bouts)
The league was founded in March 2010, by Trudy Hannon (Joanie Trash) and Kyla Sinclair (Dutch Courage). By May of the same year the league was already attracting over 30 people to practices and by January 2011 the league boasted 50 members.
The league began training in cramped conditions at Bell Hall until a new rink was opened at the Palmerston North Leisureplex in January 2011.
In August of the same year they hosted their first home bout - a round robin triple-header against Taranaki Roller Corp's Rumble Bees and the Richter City Roller Derby Convicts (Richter's B team) from Wellington. Swamp City won both their bouts, with the Rumble Bees taking out their bout against the Convicts.
Notable Achievements 
August 2012 saw the Swamp City Roller Rats host the country's first national tournament, with 13 teams from all over New Zealand participating. Swamp City's team The Plague went head to head with Auckland Roller Derby League in the final.
- Manawatu Standard, "Get ya skates on girls", Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Manawatu Standard, "Skates on - it's roller time", Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Manawatu Standard, "Justine: Mum and Swamp City Roller Rat", Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Eventfinder.co.nz, "3 the Hard Way - 3 Way Roller Derby Bout", Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Manawatu Standard, "Swamp Rats ready to roll at Arena 3", Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Roller Derby Team New Zealand, "World Cup NZ Team Announcement", Retrieved 12 December 2011.