Swamp Thing (video game)
Title screen of Swamp Thing (NES version)
|Designer(s)||Barry Marx (NES)
Dan Kitchen (NES)
David Lubar (NES)
Christian Dana Perry (GB)
Curtis Norris (GB)
Timothy H. Mensch (GB)
|Composer(s)||Mark Van Hecke|
|Release date(s)||December 1992|
The NES version of Swamp Thing borrows the game engine from The Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants. Its introduction features the origin story of Swamp Thing and as depicted in the 1991 animated series. The player takes the role of the title character battling foes throughout the Louisiana swamps and other locations in a side-scrolling format. Swamp Thing's attack methods include punching and firing "sludge balls" which are acquired throughout the game. The player must venture through various stages, which include a graveyard, chemical factory, toxic dump, and finally, Arcane's lab. Bosses include Arcane's Un-Men, Dr. Deemo, Weedkiller, Skinman, and finally, Arcane himself.
In Game Boy's Swamp Thing, stages include the Arctic, the desert, and contaminated rainforests. Swamp Thing also uses tools like camouflage and thorn skin, and he must recycle scattered garbage in order to score points and gain additional powers.
Aside from marginal graphics, the NES Swamp Thing has received average to generally negative reviews for its high difficulty, poor music, and dull gameplay. However, while the NES version of Swamp Thing was based on a Simpsons game, it also provided the foundation for a popular, unlicensed game entitled The Simpsons: Return of the Space Mutants. This 2001 title serves as a sequel to the original Space Mutants game and is only available through a downloadable ROM format.
- Swamp Thing Sega Retro. Retrieved on 7-23-11.
- SubSane Swamp Thing Video Game FAQ/Walkthrough Roots of the Swamp Thing (April 5, 2005). Retrieved February 2, 2008.
- IGN: Swamp Thing IGN.com. Retrieved February 3, 2008.
- Swamp Thing for NES Reviews GameSpot.com (December 9, 2006). Retrieved February 2, 2008.
- Godawful Games - Swamp Thing Double Feature LiveVideo.com (2007). Retrieved February 2, 2008.
- locke103 Adventures in Crappy Gaming: Swamp Thing YouTube (2007). Retrieved February 2, 2008.
- Return of the Space Mutants Noiseland.net. Retrieved February 2, 2008.
- Swamp Thing for Game Boy Reviews GameSpot.com. Retrieved February 2, 2008.
- Swamp Thing (NES) at GameFAQs
- Swamp Thing (Game Boy) at GameFAQs
- Swamp Thing (NES) at GameSpot
- Swamp Thing (Game Boy) at GameSpot