Swan Point Cemetery
Swan Point Cemetery
General Ambrose Burnside's grave
|Location:||Providence, Rhode Island|
|Added to NRHP:||October 5, 1977|
First organized under the Swan Point Cemetery Company, with a board of trustees. In 1858, a new charter was developed to make the cemetery administration non-profit, and it was taken over by a group known as the Proprietors of Swan Point Cemetery. In 1886, landscape architect H.W.S. Cleveland was hired to redesign the area.
Among the first to make use of a tract of land within the cemetery was the First Congregational Society (now First Unitarian Society). They moved several interments from older plots in Providence to Swan Point. Over the years additional land acquisition has expanded the cemetery to 200 acres (0.81 km2), and is still open to new interments today.
Swan Point Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Notable interments 
Swan Point has the burials of many notable Rhode Island figures:
- Vahram Papazyan, Olympic runner
- David Aldrich, American Artist.
- Nelson W. Aldrich, US Congressman, US Senator, grandfather of Vice President Nelson Rockefeller.
- Richard Steere Aldrich, US Congressman, son of Nelson W. Aldrich.
- Henry B. Anthony, Governor of Rhode Island, and President pro tempore of the US Senate.
- Lemuel H. Arnold, US Congressman, Governor of Rhode Island.
- Richard Arnold, Union army general.
- Sullivan Ballou, state politician, Civil War veteran, died at the First Battle of Bull Run.
- David Leonard Barnes, U.S. District judge, litigant in West v. Barnes
- Charles R. Brayton, political boss
- Ambrose Burnside, Governor of Rhode Island, Civil War veteran, US Senator.
- Adin Ballou Capron, US Congressman.
- Benjamin Ham Child, Medal of Honor recipient for action during the Battle of Antietam in the Civil War.
- George Henry Corliss, inventor of the Corliss steam engine
- Thomas Davis, US Congressman.
- Thomas Wilson Dorr, Governor of Rhode Island.
- Elisha Dyer, Governor of Rhode Island
- Elisha Dyer Jr., Governor of Rhode Island, Mayor of the city of Providence
- Benjamin Tucker Eames, US Congressman.
- C. M. Eddy, Jr., Author
- Theodore Foster, US Senator
- Albert Gallup, US Congressman
- Lucius F. C. Garvin, Governor of Rhode Island.
- Daniel Larned Davis Granger, US Congressman.
- Theodore F. Green, US Senator, Governor of Rhode Island.
- William Warner Hoppin, Governor of Rhode Island.
- Charles Tillinghast James, US Senator.
- Thomas Allen Jenckes, US Congressman.
- William Jones, Governor of Rhode Island.
- Herbert W. Ladd, Governor of Rhode Island.
- Benedict Lapham, industrialist, philanthropist
- Oscar Lapham, US Congressman.
- Henry Lippitt, Governor of Rhode Island.
- Henry Frederick Lippitt, US Senator.
- Alfred Henry Littlefield, Governor of Rhode Island.
- H. P. Lovecraft, American Author, creator of Lovecraftian horror.
- Jesse Houghton Metcalf, US Senator.
- Robert H. Nisbet, artist, founder of the Kent Art Association.
- Seth Padelford, Governor of Rhode Island.
- William Sprague III Governor of Rhode Island and US Senator.
- William Sprague IV Governor of Rhode Island and US Senator.
- Alfred E. Stone, Providence architect
- Royal C. Taft, Governor of Rhode Island
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Swan Point Cemetery|
See also