Swan Township, Vinton County, Ohio
|Swan Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Vinton County
|• Total||37.6 sq mi (97.4 km2)|
|• Land||37.6 sq mi (97.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||899 ft (274 m)|
|• Density||21.2/sq mi (8.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087108|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township, Hocking County: north
- Starr Township, Hocking County: northeast corner
- Brown Township: east
- Madison Township: southeast
- Elk Township: south
- Jackson Township: west
- Benton Township, Hocking County: northwest
No municipalities are located in Swan Township, although the unincorporated community of Creola lies in the southern part of the township. It also contains the unincorporated communities of Hue and Orland.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Vinton County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 16 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.