|Mission||"To Preserve the land and the human connection to the natural landscape, to Educate the local and broader communities about the value of nature, and to Nurture both the ecosystem and the people connected with it."|
|Swaner Preserve and EcoCenter|
The Swaner EcoCenter is a nature preserve and Utah State University Distance Education site located in Snyderville Basin near Park City, Utah. Swaner encompasses a 1,200-acre (490 ha) wildlife refuge, a 10,000-square-foot (930 m2) state of the art environmental education facility, a 100-acre (40 ha) farm, and 10 miles (16 km) of trails. The EcoCenter works to preserve the land and the human connection to the natural landscape, to educate the local and broader communities about the value of nature, and to nurture both the ecosystem and the people connected with it. The EcoCenter was designed by architect Soren Simonsen to meet the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) platinum certification, the highest standard set by the U.S. Green Building Council.
The preserve began as a donation of 190 acres (77 ha) of land in 1993 by the Spring Creek Angus Ranch Partnership in memory of Leland Swaner. Over the next decade several parcels of land would be added, growing the preserve to more than 1,000 acres (400 ha). In 2003, Swaner purchased what is now known as the Swaner Farm, adding 107 acres (43 ha) to the preserve.
In 1933, the iconic white barn was built by the Fletcher family who purchased the farm in 1906 and operated it for more than 35 years. The Fletcher's sold the entire farm to the Wallin family who owned the land until 2003 when it was acquired by Swaner. It currently houses office and conference space.
In January 2010, Utah State University (USU) President Stan Albrecht and the Swaner Preserve and EcoCenter Board of Directors announced that the refuge and center would be transferred to USU. The gift totaled in excess of $30 million, making it the largest gift in USU history. Just one year later, in January 2011, classes began at the center through USU Distance Education.
- "Swaner Preserve". Swaner Preserve and EcoCenter. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "History". Swaner Preserve and Eco Center. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "Our Mission". Swaner EcoCenter. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "LEED". Swaner EcoCenter. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "Swaner Farm". Swaner EcoCenter. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- Vitale, Tim (15 January 2010). "Swaner Preserve & EcoCenter Makes Largest Gift in USU's History". Utah State Today. Retrieved 2011-10-02.
- "USU Degrees at the Swaner EcoCenter". Utah State Today. 21 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-02.