Swanley railway station
|Local authority||District of Sevenoaks|
|Number of platforms||4|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|1 July 1862||Opened (Sevenoaks Junction)|
|1 January 1871||Renamed (Swanley Junction)|
|16 April 1939||Resited 420m west and renamed (Swanley)|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Swanley from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Swanley railway station.|
Swanley railway station is a station in Swanley, Kent. The station is managed by Southeastern. The station has four platforms, platforms 1 and 3 being for services to Central London via Bromley South, platform 2 for services to Sevenoaks and Ashford International and platform 4 for Gillingham.
The original location of the station was at grid reference TQ513684 at the junction with separate platforms for the main line and the Sevenoaks branch. It was first named Sevenoaks Junction and 1871 was changed to Swanley Junction. On 27 June 1937, there was a collision between two trains near the station, resulting in the deaths of four people and with 37 injured. In 1939 a new station called Swanley was constructed approximately 440 yards (400 m) further west and the original station was closed. The present station was rebuilt in 1959 when the line was widened to four tracks.
The station is located at Station Approach, almost 1 mile (1.6 km) away from Swanley Town Centre.
Swanley station is served by the following routes.
- 429 to Dartford via Joydens Wood (with limited services to Crockenhill, and Sunday services to Bluewater and to Eynsford)
- 477 to Bluewater via Hextable and to Orpington via Crockenhill
- 478 to West Kingsdown
Services are operated by Southeastern and Thameslink.
The 2015 typical off-peak train service is:
- 3tph to London Victoria via Bromley South
- 2tph to West Hampstead Thameslink via Catford
- 2tph to Sevenoaks via Bat & Ball
- 1tph to Ashford International via Maidstone East
- 1tph to Canterbury West via Maidstone East
- 1tph to Dover Priory via Chatham
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|St Mary Cray||Southeastern
Chatham Main Line
Maidstone East Line
- There is a 17.5 mile milepost a short distance coastbound from the station.
- Train times and station information for Swanley railway station from National Rail
- Page at SouthernRailway.net with photo taken in 1959 during reconstruction of Swanley station
|This article on a railway station in Kent is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|