Swedish Committee Against Antisemitism
|Part of a series on|
Part of Jewish history
The Swedish Committee Against Antisemitism (Swedish: Svenska Kommittén Mot Antisemitism, SKMA) is a Sweden-based non-profit organization, founded in 1983, that works to counteract and spread knowledge about antisemitism. The organization claims political and religious independence.
The Committee was established "against the background of the wave of antisemitism that was manifested during the 1982 Lebanon war". The SCAA documented the antisemitic incitement of Radio Islam, and its research was instrumental in the 1989 trial and conviction of Ahmed Rami for incitement against an ethnic group, a hate crime under Swedish law.
The organization has released many reports on antisemitism in Sweden, amongst others "The denied hatred - antisemitism among Muslims and Arabs in Sweden", a high-profile report which has received positive attention in the public debate, but fierce criticism for ill-foundedly stigmatizing Swedish Muslims as well.
The SCAA also hosts seminars for teachers on antisemitism, racism and intolerance; White Power (neo-Nazi) music and neo-Nazi propaganda; and the Holocaust. It sponsors 12-day study tours in Israel for teachers as well as 8-day study tours to Poland. Among the places visited are Warszawa, Treblinka, Tykocin, Bialystok, Sobibor, Włodawa, Lublin, Majdanek, Zamosc, Belzec, Josefow, Zbylitowska Gora, Tarnow, Oswiecim, Kraków and Kazimierz.
The SCAA regularly publishes books and booklets. A partial list includes:
- Det eviga hatet ("The Eternal Hatred", 1993)
- Att urskulda antisemitism ("Exculpating Antisemitism", 1993)
- Öga for öga ... ("An eye for an eye ...", 1995)
- Förnekandet av Förintelsen; ("Denial of the Holocaust", 1995, 1996)
- Nationalsocialismens Symboler; ("Symbols of National Socialism", 1997
- Förintelsen. Utrotningen av Europas judar (a translation of the French book "Shoah - L'impossible oubli", by the French historian Anne Grunberg, 1997)
- Om SKMA ('About SCAA'), SCAA website, accessed 2011-02-04
- Antisemitism in Swedish Academia: The Bergman Affaire
- Hela arabvärlden demoniseras ('The entire Arab world is being demonized'), Svenska Dagbladet, 2004-02-25
- Svenska Kommittén Mot Antisemitism, official website (Swedish)