Sweet Honey Bee
|Sweet Honey Bee|
|Studio album by Duke Pearson|
|Recorded||December 7, 1966
Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs
|Duke Pearson chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
Allmusic awarded the album with 4 stars and its review by Scott Yanow states: "Pianist/composer Duke Pearson leads an all-star group on this run-through of seven of his compositions. The musicians (trumpeter Freddie Hubbard, altoist James Spaulding, Joe Henderson on tenor, bassist Ron Carter, drummer Mickey Roker, and the pianist/leader) are actually more impressive than many of the compositions, although the swinging minor-toned "Big Bertha" deserved to become a standard." The Penguin Guide review says: "the highlights are the lushly voiced melodies of 'Sudel' and 'Gaslight', the former a tune which Pearson had recorded some years earlier with a different group. Hubbard and Henderson eat up their solo opportunities without sundering the essentially easy-going feel which was [a] Pearson trademark, and while not all the material is up to this standard, as a showcase for the pianist as writer and group-leader, this is surely the best thing available at present ."
In David Mitchell's novel Ghostwritten, Satoru, a young Japanese jazz-lover working in a record shop in Tokyo, says of a girl who comes into the store, "if you know Duke Pearson's 'After the Rain,' well, she was as beautiful and pure as that."
- All compositions by Duke Pearson except where indicated.
- "Sweet Honey Bee" – 5:00
- "Sudel" – 5:43
- "After the Rain" – 4:45
- "Gaslight" – 6:01
- "Big Bertha" (Peter Chatman, Pearson) – 5:58
- "Empathy" – 6:00
- "Ready Rudy?" – 6:01
- Duke Pearson - piano
- Joe Henderson - tenor saxophone
- Freddie Hubbard - trumpet
- James Spaulding - flute, alto saxophone
- Ron Carter - bass
- Mickey Roker - drums
- Yanow, Scott (2011). "Sweet Honey Bee - Duke Pearson | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- Richard Cook and Brian Morton, The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD, 7th ed. (Penguin, 2004: ISBN 978-0-14-101416-6).
- Duke Pearson discography accessed September 6, 2010
- Nat Hentoff, liner notes to Sweet Honey Bee (Blue Note CDP 0777 7 89792 2 7).
- Yanow, S.Allmusic Review: Sweet Honey Bee accessed 06 June 2010
- David Mitchell, Ghostwritten (Random House Digital, Inc., 2001: ISBN 0375724508), p. 41.