Sweet Thing (Keith Urban song)
|Single by Keith Urban|
|from the album Defying Gravity|
|Released||3 November 2008|
|Writer(s)||Monty Powell, Keith Urban|
|Producer(s)||Dann Huff, Keith Urban|
|Keith Urban singles chronology|
"Sweet Thing" is a song co-written and recorded by Australian country music singer Keith Urban. The song is the first single from his album Defying Gravity. It was released on 3 November 2008, and it made its debut on the Hot Country Songs charts at number 30, becoming Urban's nineteenth Top 40 country hit. On the chart week of 14 March 2009, it became Urban's tenth number one country hit. It went on to win the 2010 Grammy Award for Best Male Country Vocal Performance, which was Urban's third win in that category. The song was written by Urban and Monty Powell.
"Sweet Thing" is an up-tempo country pop song. The male narrator sings of their first dates together, including meeting "in the backyard under the cottonwood tree" and "kissin' on the porch swing", as well as the lover exiting the house through her bedroom window "while the world's sleeping." The lyrics were inspired by Urban's relationship with his Ford Mustang, which is seen in this song's music video. Urban recorded the song at The Castle Recording Studios in Franklin, Tennessee.
Jim Malec, a reviewer for The 9513, gave "Sweet Thing" a "thumbs up" rating. Although he considered the song "not really country" he added "If this is country-pop, it is hard to imagine anyone ever doing it with more passion, more intensity, and more effectiveness." Malec also noted Urban's "emotionally committed" vocals. It appears in the video game Tap Tap Revenge 2.
The music video for "Sweet Thing" was directed by Trey Fanjoy. It premiered on 19 January 2009 and was shot in a barn in Spring Hill, Tennessee. Originally, they were to shoot outside, but it was too rainy, so they were forced to use the farm. The acting scenes were also shot in Spring Hill. The Ford Mustang seen in the barn is Keith's own.
|Australia (ARIA Charts)||96|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||45|
|US Billboard Hot 100||30|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||9|
"God Love Her"
by Toby Keith
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
14–21 March 2009
"It Won't Be Like This for Long"
by Darius Rucker
- "Keith Urban preps new single, "Sweet Thing"". Country Standard Time. 28 October 2008. Retrieved 24 November 2008.
- "Keith Urban's new single based on own romantic life". One India. 21 November 2008. Retrieved 24 November 2008.
- Malec, Jim (12 November 2008). "Keith Urban - "Sweet Thing"". The 9513. Retrieved 24 November 2008.
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Keith Urban. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Keith Urban. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Keith Urban. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved 13 December 2009.