Location in Jackson County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||0.5 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|• Land||0.5 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||249 ft (76 m)|
|• Density||1,500/sq mi (570/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0058723|
Swifton is located at .(35.824274, -91.129001)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.54 square miles (1.4 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 871 people, 335 households, and 245 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,752.3 people per square mile (672.6/km²). There were 365 housing units at an average density of 734.3/sq mi (281.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.93% White, 0.46% Black or African American, 0.11% Native American, 1.03% from other races, and 0.46% from two or more races. 2.30% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 335 households out of which 34.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.5% were married couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.6% were non-families. 25.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.60 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.0% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 28.1% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 13.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 90.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $24,375, and the median income for a family was $31,375. Males had a median income of $22,500, versus $15,682 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,922. About 17.5% of families and 22.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.3% of those under age 18 and 24.0% of those age 65 or over.
- George Kell, born in Swifton, member of Baseball Hall of Fame
- Skeeter Kell, former Major League baseball player
- Bobby Winkles, Major League and college baseball manager, raised in Swifton
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Swifton city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Reichler, Joseph L., ed. (1979) . The Baseball Encyclopedia (4th edition ed.). New York: Macmillan Publishing. ISBN 0-02-578970-8.