Swim Deep performing at Melt! Festival 2013.
|Genres||Indie pop, dream pop|
|Labels||Chess Club, Sony|
|Associated acts||Galahads, Austin and Ellie|
Tom 'Higgy' Higgins
|Past members||Wolfgang J Harte|
Swim Deep are an indie pop band from Birmingham, England consisting of Austin Williams (vocals), Tom Higgins (guitar), Zachary Robinson (drums), Cavan McCarthy (bass) and James Balmont (keys). Swim Deep formed in 2011 by Austin Williams, Tom 'Higgy' Higgins and Wolfgang J Harte. Harte left the band in late 2012 and was replaced by Cavan McCarthy. James Balmont joined the band as a full member in 2014 after a year of playing as an extra live member. They have often been identified as part of the emerging Digbeth-based B-Town scene.
The band began to record in Brussels in the last few months of 2012 of what would soon be their debut album. During their career, they have released five singles which have received critical acclaim. They released their debut album Where the Heaven Are We on August 5, 2013. It was originally meant to be on 29 July, but it was moved to a later date for unknown reasons.
2010-2012: Formation and record deal
Swim Deep formed in 2010 with Austin Williams, Tom 'Higgy' Higgins and Wolfgang J Harte. The band went through multiple drummers until they eventually recruited Austin's best friend Zachary Robinson on drums who, at the time, was playing in a band called Cajole Cajole. On the subject, Austin said, “We thought it was a long shot but we’d just lost another drummer so we asked Zach if he wanted to join our band and he said yeah. That was one of the best things that happened, to be honest.” After a few months, Harte announced that he was leaving the band and the band played as a three piece until they recruited Cavan McCarthy, the merchandise seller from fellow Birmingham band, Peace. The band put some demos up on Soundcloud, "Isla Vista" and "Santa Maria", in 2011.
In 2012, Swim Deep signed with Chess Club and released their debut single, "King City", in May 2012. After a UK tour with Spector in November/December 2012, the band went to Brussels to record their debut album with producer Charlie Hugall. They released their second single, "Honey", in November which got them well critical acclaim and is usually associated with the band. NME magazine said that "the best bits of the Birmingham mob’s latest cut have the pull of a star-spangled whirlpool that’ll suck you back into the late ’80s."
2013-present: Where the Heaven Are We
They have played shows with Splashh, Spector, Citizens! and the Mystery Jets. The band also accompanied Two Door Cinema Club on their February 2013 UK tour, alongside Bastille. In February 2013, a video was released for their next single "The Sea". The single was released the month after on 7" vinyl and download, backed with a cover of "Down by the Seaside". In May 2013 they released their fourth single "She Changes the Weather", along with an EP of the same name.
In early May, Swim Deep put the pre-order links up on their official store. Where the Heaven Are We is due to be released in August, 2013, on 12" vinyl, CD and digital download. Limited edition signed vinyl are also to be released featuring a 7" of two early demos. A Japan only EP was released in May titled Sun on My Back made up of early demos, B-sides and "King City". In June, the band released a new video for the re-release of "King City". The single is due for release in July. In July 2013 it was revealed that the deluxe edition of Where the Heaven Are We would feature a bonus track "Crush".
- Swim Deep
- Austin "Ozzy" Williams - vocals, guitar, keys, percussion (2010–present)
- Tom "Higgy Pop" Higgins - guitar, backing vocals (2010–present)
- Zachary "Zach" Robinson - drums, percussion, backing vocals (2011–present)
- Cavan "Cav" McCarthy - bass guitar, backing vocals (2012–present)
- James Balmont - keys, percussion, guitar, backing vocals (2013–present)
- James "Wolfgang" Harte - bass guitar, backing vocals (2010-2012)
- Johnny Aries - live keys and live percussion (2013)
|2013||Where the Heaven Are We
|2013||Sun On My Back
|2013||"She Changes the Weather"
|2013||"King City" (re-release)
- King, Alison (2012-10-13). "Forget Madchester, it's all about the B-Town scene". The Independent (Independent News and Media). Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- "Swim Deep to release debut album 'Where The Heaven Are We' in July". NME. March 21, 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Swim Deep about". Swim Deep. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "SWIM DEEP soundcloud". Swim Deep. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Swim Deep – ‘Honey’ review". NME.com. November 2, 2012. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Where The Heaven Are We (Signed 12" + exclusive bonus 7")". Swim Deep shop. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Sun on My Back EP released". SWIM DEEP official Facebook page. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "Swim Deep - King City". SwimDeepVEVO. 16 June 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Swim Deep leak new track "Crush"". Music Blogged. 2013-07-19. Retrieved 2013-07-20.