Swimming at the 1988 Summer Olympics – Men's 100 metre freestyle
|Men's 100 metre freestyle
at the Games of the XXIV Olympiad
|Venue||Jamsil Indoor Swimming Pool|
|Date||September 22, 1988 (heats & finals)|
|Competitors||78 from 50 nations|
|Winning time||48.63 OR|
|Swimming events at the
1988 Summer Olympics
U.S. overwhelming favorite Matt Biondi smashed a new Olympic record to claim his first ever individual gold and fourth career medal in swimming at these Games. Maintaining a lead from start to finish, he pulled away from a star-studded field to hit the wall first in 48.63. Biondi also enjoyed his teammate Chris Jacobs taking home the silver in 49.08, as the Americans climbed on top of the podium for the sixth time in the event's Olympic history with a 1–2 finish. Earlier in the prelims, Jacobs sliced off Rowdy Gaines' 1984 record by six-tenths of a second to establish a new Olympic standard of 49.20 in the eighth heat, until Biondi eventually lowered it to 49.04 in the final of ten heats. Meanwhile, France's Stéphan Caron held off an intense sprint battle against Soviet duo Gennadiy Prigoda and Iurie Başcatov to take home the bronze in 49.62.
The existing World and Olympic records at the time of the competition were:
|World record||Matt Biondi (USA)||48.42||Austin, United States||10 August 1988|
|Olympic record||Rowdy Gaines (USA)||49.80||Los Angeles, United States||31 July 1984|
The following records were established during the competition:
|September 22||Heat 8||Chris Jacobs||United States||49.20||OR|
|September 22||Heat 10||Matt Biondi||United States||49.04||OR|
|September 22||Final||Matt Biondi||United States||48.63||OR|
Rule: The eight fastest swimmers advance to final A (Q), while the next eight to final B (q).
|12||3||Sven Lodziewski||East Germany||51.00|
|14||6||Thomas Fahrner||West Germany||51.12|
|16||4||Hilton Woods||Netherlands Antilles||51.25|
|01 !||4||Matt Biondi||United States||48.63||OR|
|02 !||5||Chris Jacobs||United States||49.08|
|03 !||3||Stéphan Caron||France||49.62|
|4||2||Gennadiy Prigoda||Soviet Union||49.75|
|5||6||Iurie Başcatov||Soviet Union||50.08|
- "The Games at a Glance". New York Times. 23 September 1988. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Robb, Sharon (23 September 1988). "Evans Sets Record, Wins 2nd Gold". Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Husar, John (22 September 1988). "'Tight' Biondi Sets Record In Heats". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Seoul 2000: Swimming – Men's 100m Freestyle Heats" (PDF). Seoul 1988. LA84 Foundation. p. 401. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Seoul 2000: Swimming – Men's 100m Freestyle Finals" (PDF). Seoul 1988. LA84 Foundation. p. 402. Retrieved 19 August 2013.