Swimming at the 2000 Summer Olympics – Men's 200 metre individual medley
|Men's 200 metre individual medley
at the Games of the XXVII Olympiad
|Venue||Sydney International Aquatic Centre|
|Date||September 20, 2000 (heats &
September 21, 2000 (final)
|Competitors||56 from 49 nations|
|Winning time||1:58.98 OR|
|Swimming events at the
2000 Summer Olympics
Massimiliano Rosolino blasted a new Olympic record to add Italy's third gold medal in swimming at these Games. He edged out U.S. swimmer Tom Dolan with a fastest split (33.52) on the breaststroke leg to take over the lead at the final turn, and hit the wall first in a sterling time of 1:58.98, clipping 0.93 seconds off a record set by Hungary's Attila Czene in Atlanta. Dolan, the defending champion in the 400 m individual medley four days earlier, became the first American to break a two-minute barrier, taking home the silver in a new national record of 1:59.77. Meanwhile, Tom Wilkens earned a bronze in 2:00.87, handing an entire medal haul for the U.S. team with a two–three finish.
Czene, the defending Olympic champion, finished outside the podium in fourth place with a time of 2:01.16. Netherlands' Marcel Wouda came up with a spectacular swim on the breaststroke leg, but fell short to fifth spot in 2:01.48. Wouda was followed in sixth by Germany's Christian Keller (2:02.02), and in seventh by France's Xavier Marchand (2:02.23). Finland's world record holder Jani Sievinen closed out the field with an eighth-place finish in 2:02.49.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Jani Sievinen (FIN)||1:58.16||Rome, Italy||11 September 1994|||
|Olympic record||Attila Czene (HUN)||1:59.91||Atlanta, United States||25 July 1996|||
The following new world and Olympic records were set during this competition.
|21 September||Final||Massimiliano Rosolino||Italy||1:58.98||OR|
|1||4||Tom Dolan||United States||2:00.38||Q|
|4||6||Tom Wilkens||United States||2:01.51||Q|
|7||7||Robert van der Zant||Australia||2:02.91|
|4||Tom Dolan||United States||1:59.77||AM|
|7||Tom Wilkens||United States||2:00.87|
- "Swimming schedule". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 14 September 2000. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Rosolino strikes gold in 200m medley". Sports Illustrated (CNN). 21 September 2000. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Berlin, Peter (22 September 2000). "De Bruijn Takes Second Gold; Hungarian and Italian Also Triumph : European Swimmers Steal the Show". New York Times. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- Harris, Beth (22 September 2000). "Krayzelburg Wins Second Gold". ABC News. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Morrissey, Rick (22 September 2000). "Krayzelburg's Gold Leads U.S. Bonanza". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Whitten, Phillip (21 September 2000). "Olympic Day 6 Finals". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Sydney 2000: Swimming – Men's 200m Individual Medley Heats" (PDF). Sydney 2000. LA84 Foundation. pp. 311–313. Retrieved 6 June 2013.