Swimming at the 2008 Summer Olympics – Men's 1500 metre freestyle
|Men's 1500 metre freestyle
at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad
|Venue||Beijing National Aquatics Center|
|Date||August 15, 2008 (heats)
August 17, 2008 (final)
|Competitors||37 from 29 nations|
|Winning time||14:40.84 AF|
|Swimming events at the
2008 Summer Olympics
Competing at his third Games, Oussama Mellouli made an Olympic milestone to become Tunisia's first ever gold medalist in 48 years. He denied Australia's Grant Hackett a third straight title in the event, touching the wall first in an African record of 14:40.84. Hanging with the leaders through the first two-thirds of the race, Mellouli moved into the lead at the 1,100-metre mark, and held off Hackett's sprinted finish on the final lap. This was also a retribution for Mellouli, who served an 18-month doping ban from FINA for using the banned stimulant Adderall.
Trying to become the first male swimmer to win three gold medals in the same event, Hackett collected a silver in 14:41.53. Meanwhile, Canada's Ryan Cochrane powered home with a bronze in 14:42.69, finishing ahead of Russia's Yuri Prilukov (14:43.21). U.S. swimmer Larsen Jensen, silver medalist in Athens four years earlier, placed fifth with a time 14:48.16, and was followed in the sixth spot by Great Britain's David Davies in 14:52.11. Chinese duo Zhang Lin (14:55.20) and Sun Yang (15:05.12) rounded out the finale.
Earlier in the prelims, Cochrane established a new Olympic record of 14:40.84 in heat three, until Hackett cleared a 14:40 barrier, and lowered the record to 14:38.92 in the final heat of five.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Grant Hackett (AUS)||14:34.56||Fukuoka, Japan||29 July 2001|||
|Olympic record||Grant Hackett (AUS)||14:43.40||Athens, Greece||21 August 2004||-|
The following new Olympic records were set during this competition.
|August 15||Heat 3||Ryan Cochrane||Canada||14:40.84||OR|
|August 15||Heat 5||Grant Hackett||Australia||14:38.92||OR|
|5||8||Larsen Jensen||United States||14:48.16|
|6||2||David Davies||Great Britain||14:52.11|
- "Olympic Swimming Schedule". USA Today. 9 August 2008. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Mellouli shatters Hackett's hat-trick bid". South China Morning Post. 17 August 2008. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Mellouli claims 1500m swim gold". BBC Sport. 17 August 2008. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Lohn, John (16 August 2008). "Olympics, Swimming: Ous Mellouli Claims Olympic Gold for Tunisia in Men's 1500 Free". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Colman, Mike (17 August 2008). "Grant Hackett gives his all for silver medal in 1500m". The Australian. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Goffa, Debbie (17 August 2008). "Larsen Jensen places 5th in 1500m freestyle". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Lohn, John (15 August 2008). "Olympics, Swimming: Grant Hackett Leads 1500 Free Qualifying With Olympic Standard". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Hackett shatters world record". BBC News. 29 July 2001. Retrieved 6 August 2008.